29G Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ragin1cajun

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I now have a 29G tank that I think is close to being cycled since I moved the filter over from the 6G tank that had cycled. After moving the filter and the 2 occupants of the 6G to the 29G, I got a Nitrite spike after adding 4 new fish. So I am doing the necessary PWC and dosing the tank with Prime to get the Nitrites down.

Anyway, after the tank is cycled again I am looking to add more fish. Here are my (or my kids) plans:

Current Occupants:
3 - Albino Cories
3 - Zebra Danios (GloFish)

Planned Additions:
3 - Panda Cories
3 - Zebra Danios
1 - Bristlenose Pleco

I am planning on adding them slowly. For example, adding the 3 panda cories then wait a week to add the 3 Zebra Danios then wait another week to add the Pleco. Is this a good plan?

Would these additions be too much for my tank, just about right, or leave me any more room for more. If I add anything else, it would prolly be a middle swimmer since the Danios stay at the top and the cories stay at the bottom for the most part.

As always thanks for the help!
David

Sounds good to me and you would have a bit of room left. A 6 gal filter couldn't fully cycle a 29 gal tank with more fish (as you've seen, hence the nitrite spike) but it should help a lot. Wait until ammonia and nitrite read 0 consistently for at least a week in between adding more fish. The pleco would like some driftwood to munch on, if you don't have some already.

Agreed. The stock is good and there is room for a few more fish. So you have 6 zebra danios for the top, 6 Cory's and a bn pleco for the floor, I think you have room for a dwarf gourami, as well as a school of 6 cardinal tetras.

A 6 gal filter couldn't fully cycle a 29 gal tank with more fish (as you've seen, hence the nitrite spike) but it should help a lot.
Yup, that sounds completely logical now that I have done it and you have said it! I wish I would have only added 2 more fish because I am back to daily PWCs until the tank completely cycles. The good thing is Ammo is close to 0 every day and the Nitrite dropped yesterday and spiked again today. So if I interpret this right the tank is well on its way. Just gotta be patient now!

The pleco would like some driftwood to munch on, if you don't have some already.
Any idea where to get some driftwood? If I found a river to search would that wood be safe? I have read of people boiling the driftwood to sanitize it but do not know anything more than that.

I think you have room for a dwarf gourami, as well as a school of 6 cardinal tetras.
I have looked at both the Dwarf Gourami and the Cardinal Tetras at the LFS and really like both of them. I will add them to my list. I know the next thing I add is the Panda Cories since my 8-yo Son keeps bugging me to get them. If he had his way, I would have bought them 2 weeks ago!

Lol didnt the last paragraph. Sounds like you know what you are doing!
I wouldn't say I know what I am doing.. I just read some of the threads here and pick up stuff along the way. I like to get feedback to make sure I am truly getting it!

David

The dwarfs come in baby blue, and red, normal which is blue with orange stripes. And I believe Mabye neon green. I think with 1 dwarf gourami. 6 zebras, 3 pandas Nd 3 albino Cory's, and the 6-8 cardinals, it will look great! Others that could swap for the cardinal would be rumynose, look up a videos on YouTube, thy school very tightly Andare cool lookin! I also think there could be room for a Bolivian ram. Look into them, see what ya think!

Back
Top Bottom