3 Fish Dead in 1 Month HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishesfriend

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, 2 have died: dalmation molly & swordtail, but my dwarf gourami is in the isolation/nursery tank as of 5 mins ago & just ate both of the fish flakes I gave him. The 1st 2 were fine (I watch my fish several times a day up to 30 mins at a time) and then dead the next morning! I can't see any symptoms at all. This time I came to feed and the gourami was lying on the bottom leaning against the glass, which is never where he is. He's always at the top cruising and gulping air.

I don't understand what is suddenly happening! He looks otherwise fine, so I don't know what to treat with. Water paramaters are fine and I did a 40% water change yesterday and rinsed out the filters a few weeks ago (Eheim canister). I haven't added a new fish in 3 or 4 months, and those angelfish are fine and growing rapidly.

I'm sure no matter what, it's too late for my gorgeous dwarf gourami, but I'd like to stop this loss as it is making me so sad and I feel like I'm murdering them.

The swordtail and molly were 2 of the fish I put in when live fish cycling the tank (which I regret anyway) about 1 yr ago, but I got the gourami after the tank cycled. If any of that matters.

What do you use to rinse the filter media, and how do you rinse it? If you're using tap water, rinsing all of the accumulated "gunk" from it, and wringing it out well, you may be removing your beneficial bacteria and causing a mini cycle every time you do so. When you rinse your media, try to do so in used tank water during water changes, and rinse it only enough to get out the loose detritus, but don't wring it out more than necessary to avoid making a mess on the floor.
You said your water parameters are fine, but would you mind listing them for us, along with the specifics on your tank?

I only use tank water to rinse filters/media. I know about and do everything you just said.

Water temp 80 degrees, PH 7.4, amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 30 (which, admittedly is higher than normal since I cleaned filters on 04/02, but always calms down). Water changes 20% - 30% twice/week & 50% once every other week, unless water tests warrant more.

54 gallon corner tank: 4 angelfish, 6 glo tetras, 1 platty, 1 dwarf gourami (for now, but it's not looking good), 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 small clow loach, 1 dalmation molly, 3 albino cory cats

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Your tank is certainly not over-stocked. Your PH may be a bit low for many live-bearers, but I don't think it's murderously so. Unfortunately, sometimes fish just die for no apparent cause. It sucks, but there it is. I know that there's a gourami-specific disease (can't remember what it's called) that seems to kill fish fairly quickly. Hopefully someone who knows more about it than I can give more info on this. Sorry that I wasn't more help.

Well I appreciate your help. Even just confirming that I'm not missing something I should be doing is helpful. I was worried having lost so many fish when I really don't lose fish very often.

Gourami held on all night, but looks like the throws of death now. Hard to watch.

I read about dwarf gourami disease and it sounds exactly like it! One side of her has been kinda bloated (a symptom) for awhile and I didn't know that would be her spleen. Unfortunately, she has had it all along, if this is correct. All symptoms fit and it appears she will die eventually by drowning. I am so sad about that.

I read about dwarf gourami disease and it sounds exactly like it! One side of her has been kinda bloated (a symptom) for awhile and I didn't know that would be her spleen. Unfortunately, she has had it all along, if this is correct. All symptoms fit and it appears she will die eventually by drowning. I am so sad about that.

I keep pearl and honey gourami and have lost a few to this apparent gourami disease. I wonder how old yours is? The ones I have lost have been older, between 1-3 years old. Once they start bloating I don't know anything you can do. The pearls I have now 2 are females and both are bloated and have been for a few months. Other than that they are fine, active and eating. But I had a 3rd one which I found suddenly dead one morning.

I take good care of my tanks too but my fish don't seem to live to be more than 2-3 years old.

And yes they do drown because they get where they can't make it to the top of the tank. I have euthanized one like yours with clove oil. But that is a personal decision. Sorry for your troubles and I wish you the best.

Crap. I have her in the fry hatchery, so closer to the top, but I can see she's turning pale now and having a hard time getting to the surface.

She has began bloating a couple of months ago but was fine, so I thought she was fat or clogged-up and was waiting for her to stop pooping in case I should feed peas. I saw it was one side, but I wasn't sure I wasn't seeing things because she was constantly swimming, so it was hard to get a good view.

I will have had her a year this month, and was thinking of getting a second, but now that I know I can buy them already sick having it take months to a couple yrs to manifest, I'm very scared. I will probably stop having dwarf gouramis, as she looks like she's suffering so badly right now. I can't euthanize since when I researched it for a fishy with dropsy long ago, I couldn't find one agreed upon method. I'm also already crying and don't think I could end an animals life. I'm a wimp.

THANK YOU for replying!

anyone spray household products around the tank air freshener , Windex , pledge , carpet fresh ect , this is very common

Nope. Corner alone, I don't windex tank, no carpet, never sprayed air freshener but in the bathrooms. :)

Out of curiousity, with a lid on and the bubbler pump in the cabinet under the tank with the filter - how would anything get in there?

another thought did you do any cleaning with any cleaners and stick hands in tank , now I will admit I'm guilty of this one went to gas station to get gas some how got gas on my hands went home and for some stupid put my hand in the tank before washing ,

UPDATE: I know this wasn't the purpose of my post, but woke up & she had more color, wasn't lying sideways or sitting straight up on the bottom like yesterday. I'm so confused! She is still bloated (maybe just fat?), her poo was a normal color yesterday but she didn't eat - which she had been doing a few bites, all her fins are still spiked up like she's gonna fight, AND one of her eyes is cloudy (with cloud kinda hanging off) and popped out slightly!

I am so confused. I'm pretty sure that is bacterial, so I moved her from hatchery in main tank to my 1g hospital tank (yes, it's a gallon water from main tank) to treat with Maracyn 2. Is there hope for this fish now? I feel like that's the kind of thing that happens to finish in water of poor quality, but mine is so far from it. Just when I think I'm learning so much & my new hobby is going so well, I feel like I'm murdering fish and should quit. Oh - so what do you think about the developments/treatment I decided on?

I think you are doing everything you can for your fish and you should feel proud of that. Honestly I have never had a fish live for very long after it once becomes sick but do all you can and see what happens. Keep us posted.

I feel your pain. I introduced a dwarf gourami into an established planted tank with Neons and Serpaes only to have 90% of my fish dead in four days (including the gourami) with no visible parasites or odd behavior. I would go to bed and everything was fine, and when I woke up...another dead fish. After that week I let things calm down and stocked it again. I don't know if it was the Dwarf Gourami Disease or something else, but it wreaked havoc. Good luck with your situation.

Thank you everyone! I really have no one to ask, as none of my friends or co-workers keep fish. I'll let you know how it goes.

UPDATE: Put the dwarf gourami back in the display tank after 6 days of Maracyn 2 and epsom salt in quarantine. The little platy that's in love with him was so excited to sidle-up next to him. haha Not sure that one eye is going to be useful, but the swelling is almost gone and no other fishes are sick.

I appreciate everyone helping me.

Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom