3 gallon planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hummingguppy

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the land of potatoes. otherwise known as Idaho.
Hello, I am thinking of buying a three gallon tank for my blue betta, Raja. I am moving him up from a one gallon to this. The tank has a clear lid with LED lights shining into the tank. The lighting is pretty bright, but is it enough to grow plants? I was thinking of anubias, java fern, and java moss. Also, I wanted to get a heater, but some say a three gallon isn't big enough for stable heating. I wanted the three gallon because it will look nice on my writing desk and is small enough that I won't need any extra support for it, and the cube variety is aesthetically pleasing. What do you think?

Did you already get the 3 gallon? If you haven't I would definitely try to get a 5 gallon instead. It is still small enough for a desk and you can have more stable heating in it as well as space for your betta. Anubis, Java fern, and Java moss have all grown well in my low light tanks so that should be fine!

No, I haven't bought anything yet, I wanted to ask around first, and see what others thought. I haven't found a five gallon that is quite as pretty, except a fluval. I think those are gorgeous, but I am hesitant to dish out 70$ for a five gallon aquarium compared to the 30$ Tetra. I will try and find a larger one, however. Other than the anubias, java fern, and java moss, what low light plants do you recommend? I wanted some ground cover, but many need CO2 and since this is only my second aquarium, I didn't want to jump on that boat quite yet.

You can get java moss online. Ebay usually has a whole bunch of different mosses that you can order for pretty good prices. Just keep in mind that mosses are messy, and once they are in your tank they will be there forever. I pulled out my flame moss about 4 months ago and I still pull out pieces every week.

Back
Top Bottom