30 gal QT....to add PS or not add PS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

born2chill

Aquarium Advice Activist
I set up a 30 gal QT after an ich outbreak claimed a yellow longnose and a PBT. So I set up a qt as follows: penguin 200 HOB filter, 150 watt heater, maxi jet 600 ph, bare-bottom, and 2 decorative rocks. I am wondering if I should get a small PS like a bakpak2r for this QT tank to keep water quality in check. Of course I would stop skimming if I added meds to the tank, but is a skimmer recommended in a qt setup?

Depends on tee treatments used in any. ALthough some forms of copper are okay to use with a skimmer, unless you plan on it being a QT only piece of equipment, remove it completely before using copper. It will definately help with the aggravation of water quality. If you have it to use, then it's a definate plus but it's not necessary to buy one just for that purpose.

The rock however is not a good idea.

Cheers
Steve

So I guess its a good idea to get the skimmer to keep water quality good in the QT then? I'm thinking about keeping it as a FO tank when my main gets stocked so the skimmer would come in handy then. I would just keep a pair of clowns and maybe a dwarf angel there. Is the rock not good because of copper leaching into it? Is there any danger posed to livestock from copper seeping into the rock? Should I purchase some type of plastic rock structure for when I medicate? I'm not really thrilled about the look of only pvc in the tank, so what type of decorations are recommended for a QT?

born2chill said:
So I guess its a good idea to get the skimmer to keep water quality good in the QT then?
The short answer is yes but you've already read the long winded one above.

Is the rock not good because of copper leaching into it? Is there any danger posed to livestock from copper seeping into the rock?
There are many reasons to avoid this. The rock will sorb any med making it difficult to maintain a treatment level. Copper can and will be released at a later time so it depends on if it's a QT only addition. Even then, the copper will destroy any life living within it and possibley the bacteria if using an ionic form of copper. If the rock is removed before a treatment, you also possibley remove a great % of the biofiltration along with it. The rock would also need to be QT'd to prevent spreading problems to healthy tanks if removed from the QT before a treatment. There are a few more but I think you get the idea.

Should I purchase some type of plastic rock structure for when I medicate? I'm not really thrilled about the look of only pvc in the tank, so what type of decorations are recommended for a QT?
Anything inert is your best bet. Nothing CaCO3 based or something that cannot be easily disposed of or replaced.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom