30+ Premature Molly fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bre7337

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So long story short, one of my black mollies mated with a silver male on 6/10 and either her or the other female bred at the same time gave birth to 7 yellow fry on 7/10. At this point I removed all other fish to their own tank and divided the females in the same tank where they’ve been since. I’m assuming it was the smaller of the two that gave birth because the larger one was still quite square whereas the smaller one was slightly less boxy, but both looked very pregnant still. Today, I went to do a partial water change as I usually do every other day, and found that the larger female was dead and still bloated. So I took her out and as I went to move more decorations I found 34 fry! And they were black at that, which is interesting because she’s only mates with this male and her past two batches, if the ones from 7/10 were also hers, have been orange. But that’s besides the point..) Unfortunately though they all seem to be premature and have their egg sacks attached (if that’s what they’re called? I can’t think of the word, yolk doesn’t seem right lol). Some of them flick their tails every once in a while, so I was wondering what chance, if any, there is to save a few of them.. I know it can’t be high.. I took the ones I found and put them in a separate tank I had set up and cycled for the new fry when they were born.. and if anyone has any idea why she died and what I could do to prevent the other from dying as well I’d greatly appreciate the help! My water levels were nearly pristine, temp was good, idk why she died... maybe she was holding too many fry too long? It’s been well over 30 days at this point

This is what they looked like in a dish thing as I transferred them to the tank

IMG_1521.jpg

Having a loaded female livebearer die,has happened to the best of us under the best conditions. All I can say that all animals take there chances when giving birth or pregnant, I believe fish are no different. Live bearers are not on a time table when there pregnant. Sorry for the loss. Mollies are one of my favorite fish since I breed them.

So it’s likely I didn’t do anything wrong then right? Thanks for the input lol

Back
Top Bottom