36 gallon bowfront help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheSmallFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I am thinking of getting a 36 gallon bowfront and I am needing help. I am looking for some nice plants, filters, stocking, how many ways for the heater, and what kind of substrate to use. I really like angelfish, and corydoras as well.

I don't understand your question about heaters. Typically, you want at least 5 watts per gallon, so you'll need a 200 watt heater. I prefer fully submersible heater placed perpendicular to the substrate a few inches from the bottom of the tank.
I can't answer about live plants, as I don't really do them.
I will say, however, that angels and corys should do fine together. In a 36g, I would limit it to 2-3 angels, and a small school (6-8) corys.
Substrate is up to you. Corys do fine with either sand or gravel. They'll also do fine with plant substrate, should you want live plants.
What filter came with the tank? Chances are, if you keep your stocking fairly light, it will do a fine job. I don't use activated charcoal in my filters unless I'm removing medication or some other additive. Instead, I prefer bio-balls and floss filter media, but this is mostly a matter of choice.

I am not using a kit filter I am going to get a canister filter. Thank you for the answer! Sorry about the heater question but that is what I meant thanks.

Hi there! I'm so glad you're considering getting a bowfront, I have a 26 gallon bowfront and I enjoy it a lot. I'm new at this, but I've learned a lot, and I can tell you it's definitely worth it. Keep me posted on how it goes! :)
I would suggest live plants, they look gorgeous and help keep the water clean. I love wisteria especially, but java fern, java moss, anubias, and other low light, easy to care for plants are a great choice.
For decor, I like a natural look, but it's up to you. If you want to go natural, I love the look of cool rocks arranged into caves and driftwood, too.
I don't know anything about angels, but corydoras are ADORABLE. I have some panda corys and they are the cutest things I have ever seen! They're always playing and foraging and chasing each other around. They have such great personalities and they really add life to my tank.
Personally, I like pandas or longfin pandas (the kind I have) the best, but there are tons of other patterns and colors you can pick. If I were you, I'd try to get all one kind, as they like to school with their own kind best, but they may school with other species. That's sort of a long shot, though, so maybe pick your favorite and only get those. As SherLar mentioned, its best to have them in schools of at least 6, but 8 is wonderful. I'm sure you could have 8 in your tank with no problem.
For feeding, mine get frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, shrimp pellets, bottom feeder wafers, pellets, and vegetables on occasion. They're rather easy to care for and make wonderful additions to any tank.
Best of luck!
~DreamingInBlue

Thank you so much for your advice! I would love to have corydoras but I also want to add another type of to that. Here is what I was thinking 2 angelfish, 6 corydoras, and 6 cherry barbs. So what do you think

I don't know much about cherry barbs or angels, but I know that corydoras would do great in your tank. They get along with pretty much everyone.
I just did some quick research and it seems like cherry barbs would be fine with angels, but please consult a more experienced person, I'd hate to give you incorrect advice. :)
Glad I could help!

Thanks so much! I just was going to say that I don't have the tank yet might not for long little while. Just wanted to be prepared!

Ok I think I have a stock 2 angelfish, 1 cockato cichlid, 7 panda cories, and 2 mollies or swordtail. What do you Think?

Back
Top Bottom