40 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbyk311

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 40 gal tank with 6 fancy goldfish 2 catfish and a pleco what fish and how many would be recommended
Thank you
Debby

I would recommend rehoming the goldfish and researching what tropical fish you might like to keep.

Might do some research on nano fish, I am currently working on setting up a 40breeder tank to house endlers, pygmy cory's and TMaier's favorite... Mystery snails.
You could keep more nano fish, would really make a nice tank with a big group on nano fish. Many species to choose from. Goldfish just get so big they need a pond or really bigtank. Here's a link on goldfish that will explain better.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/goldfish/information/gold-fish-care.php

Debbyk311...what kind of cats and plecos do you have. The cats are probably fine as long as you get more to have 6 as they're a schooling fish. However, depending on what kind you have, the plecos may also be too big. If you like plecos, the clown plecos only gets about 2-3" and you could have one.

You have the dirtiest possible combo, and it will be a constant nightmare of cleaning, changing, feeding, almost every day.

Hi Debby,

The general rule for goldfish is one fancy for the first 20 gallons and 1 more for each additional 10 gallons, so your 40 has room for three. Plenty of goldie keepers do that, so don't be discouraged! As others have suggested, though, I would consider re-homing the other fish (including the goldfish you don't keep) before the water quality suffers too much.

I buy my birdseed from one store. A few years back they had a goldfish in a bowl. Soon I came I and it was a small tank. Tank kept growing. 55g tank now and that one fish is softball size. Just water and gravel and that fat goldfish. Looks like and orange balloon floating in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom