40gal :D!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lily8808

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i got my tank today and guess what! it looks like a bomb hit it lol does any one know how to get the glass like new with out chemicals? and the tank it self has been cracked in the corner and its been sealed but should i test it with nothing in it for a few weeks or place it?

thanks a bunch :D!

If it's like hard water build up you can try vinegar and water. Just rinse like crazy after. I would definitely leak test it before you use it. :)

i ended up mixing vinegar and bi carb soda with steel wool, i tried them both on their on but they wouldnt touch it -.-' 2 years worth of slim

Try to combine cleaning and leak testing by filling the tank with a combo of vinegar and water. Let is soak for a few days or a week or two.

I'm assuming its a glass tank?

After it has soaked awhile, you might try scraping the glass with a razor. I've had some success reviving stained tanks that way.

I do wish you luck, its hard work, but usually well worth the effort.

the steel wool really did its job but i think soaking it will be a good idea too as soon as the bloody rain lets up ill put it outside and leave it in the sun for a few days too i have to fix a few things on it the broken bit has been fixed and by the look of it really well but i think i'll get the guys to take it outside for me :p

White vinegar and elbow grease are the best things to get your glass clean.

How big is the tank and how big is the crack? Small chips in small tanks aren't a big deal. Chips in large tanks create a stress riser that often leads to catastrophic failure.

its 3 ft long and 150L or 40 gal :D the cracks been patched up be4 i brought it and i was told the other day that fish have been in it after its been patched but its up the top of the tank and from the top about 3 inches down and about 2 inches across the top of the tank

Stanley knife blades work really well and you can get a glass cleaning holder for them from most DIY shops for a couple of quid! Always ask for adult supervision though !! ;)

I used Simple Green and a razor blade to clean hard water deposits off of my glass. It worked very well. Just be sure to rinse like no tomorrow.

I bought a spray bottle of aquarium safe glass cleaner from my LFS and used that with water and brushes/paper towels. You will need to spray the stuff on and let it sit for awhile if there is build up.

i tested the tank and the water only just touches where the crack is so it will be perfectly safe to use till i can afford to replace it.. I'm going to have to do everything really slowly my pooch is using all my money atm with the vet trips. I got it clean but the outside of all my tanks have water drop marks so ill have to fix that cause i tried to get some photos and it was driving me nuts -.-'! ill get photos and make a album as i get stuff done :D might not have fish in it till April tho :(

the first one is the crack in the corner and the second is the whole tank the marks on it is just water and grass lmfao! it took it outside and attacked it :D! ill attack it a bit better i was more worried about the inside ill finish it all off tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_4207.jpg
    IMG_4207.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4204.jpg
    IMG_4204.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 53
lmfao!!!! ive desided today that my cousin ripped me off with this tank.. the hood needs to be fixed the lid needs to be fixed sooner or later the tank will need to be replaced and the heater is to small for the tank and so is the filter oh and not to mention the stand its on needs fixing too lmfao! i think its gunna be months be4 i can afford to fix it all

Back
Top Bottom