40gT rio negro build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteDevil

Aquarium Advice Addict
2afgxtw.jpg

I am trying to make a rio negro biotope, less low Ph, I have 3 substrates, flourite....play sand...and natural gravel.

I am thinking go with the sand for naturalness but will a skim coat be safe?

skim coat= 1/2"-3/4"

I hear that Play Sand is very sharp... too sharp for fish, and could tear up your filtration. Try Pool Filter Sand... looks great. I just bought some this afternoon.

PFS IMO is crap, the only kind I get near me is clear BB's( I did buy some , used some, lost 2 fish to it( eating it due to shape)

I had this same sand in my big tank and the fish loved it, now thats out due to depth issues with the sand and straight flourite is in there andthe bottom feeders dont seem to mind.

Ran PS in my tanks and the barbells are huge and there has been NO damage to any fish due to substrate.

I went down this road when I first started using it, I am charging the camera( my good digi disappeared) and will get pics in a bit of progress, got sand in, heat in, filters in, UGF plate is out and Mopani is in w/ java moss clingers.

never had a problem with play sand. people dont like it because you have to clean it a lot to get it ready.

I spent 4 hours cleaning 100# of play sand AND 4 bags of flourite, end result was well worth it, never see a cloudy water post by me.

never seen a cloudy water post by me doesnt mean i never had it lol...... you sir are a better man i do a quick wash and say oh i give up dump it in.... i put the hose in kicking the dirt up and the python sucking water out at the same time.... lol

i dont like sand cuz the poops are soooo easy to see against it. i used PFS and got real dirty after about 2 weeks. AND more dificult to vacume. ive always wanted to try Flourite. flourite seems good :D

PFS is mostly white, of course you will see poops.

same issue I had with the caribsea marine sand I had in my 28gBF.

You cant really see the pooops on play sand, the poops kinda camo into the brown sand.

I am trying to catch some of my herd of zebra danios to throw a few into this tank to get the cycle going but they are being too fast today, as fat as they are they are defying the laws of physics as far as weight/mass and speed are concerned.

I printed off the list from mongobay on RN species now to convert to LFS english.

DW came in today, cleaning it and drying it, gonna tie it to or rest the mopani on it. Its very light but very hollow too, the corydoras are gonna love it.

Back
Top Bottom