41C degrees today and currently no power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there,

It got to 41C here today. The power has gone out in my area :-(

I have two 130-140L tanks with fancy gold fish.

I just changed approx 60% of their water last night (I always do on a hot day).

How long do you think I can leave their tanks without bubbles and filtration?

Should I change some of their water every hour until the power comes back on? If so, how much?

Am worried :-(

Hi there,

It got to 41C here today. The power has gone out in my area :-(

I have two 130-140L tanks with fancy gold fish.

I just changed approx 60% of their water last night (I always do on a hot day).

How long do you think I can leave their tanks without bubbles and filtration?

Should I change some of their water every hour until the power comes back on? If so, how much?

Am worried :-(

For short term, your goldfish should be ok. As long as they ain't gasping for air then don't worry about it. If they do gasp, change around 20~30% of the water. Don't do too much because the temperature might fluctuate too much.

Hi Roz :)
As Hubert said, short-term (24 hours) should be okay, but longer than that and there could be some problems. If need be, you can float a frozen water bottle in the tank. It won't cool the water evenly, but in an emergency it will at least help cool the water to the point where any present toxins won't become super-concentrated as they do in hot temperatures. You're doing exactly the right thing with changing the water. Monitor your water parameters carefully and, if you see an ammonia or nitrite spike, that's when you may want to consider using a frozen water bottle after doing a water change.

Thank you!

Luckily, the power came back on after several hours - just in time as they were starting to look a bit droopy.

Back
Top Bottom