48" tank on 47.5" stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

67Elmo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I've just picked up a nice almost new 55 gallon tank for my wooden stand. Strangely the stand is only 47.5" long so my new tank has 1/4" hanging off each side, basically the width of the end piece of glass. The tank is only 12.75" wide while the stand it 16" wide. So it will be well supported except for the last 1/4" on each side.

I don't want to split hairs, but I have heard it is very important for the corners of the tank to be supported well. Will only 1/4" of tank hanging over the otherwise very sturdy flat topped stand cause a concern? I can always get a sheet of 1/2" plywood cut to compensate and place this on the stand top and the tank on this plywood, but I'd rather not go through the trouble if its not necessary. Comments?

I wouldn't use a tank unless it fit the stand properly. The stand should be replaced. Is it an actual aquarium stand or was it originally for something else?

Use a piece of 3/4" ply, you can get it cut right at homedepot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't use a tank unless it fit the stand properly. The stand should be replaced. Is it an actual aquarium stand or was it originally for something else?

Yes, this is an actual aquarium stand for a 65 gallon aquarium. The concern is that the brand the stand is made for is slightly less long, only 47.5 inches vrs. the 48 inches of my 55 gallon tank. That's why the 55 gallon overhangs at the ends by 1/4 inch on each side.

I could always just get a 3/4" plywood sheet cut to size at Home Depot that extends the top by 1/2" or so and makes it longer as suggested. I was just hoping to avoid the hassle of doing this if it was okay to just put the tank on the stand as is. I do have a 1" styrofoam base I was going to put under the tank. However this won't give any real strength to the last 1/4" that hangs over the ends if I don't add a plywood sheet first.

A glass aquarium must be supported on the edges. In fact, it only needs to be supported on the edges.

As you and others have pointed out, adding a piece of 3/4 plywood should work fine.

If the width is ok but the length is short that 1/2", you should be okay. For your own piece of mind, I would add the plywood and styrofoam so that the whole tank is supported. With larger tanks, it's best to have all the corners fully supported. You don't want anything pushing up on the bottom glass.

Hope this helps (y)

if it is a framed tank it should be fine, if it's frameless, definitely go with the plywood.

1/2"-5/8" plywood should be more than enough considering that it really isn't going to be stressed on that 1/4" overhang.

Thanks all for the advice. I have decided to put a 50" long sheet of 3/4" plywood on the top of the stand (plus a sheet of styrofoam over the plywood) which will solve any potential problem. I suspect I "probably" would be okay, but for the peace of mind and the safety of my rapidly growing Koi Anglefish, I'll go the plywood route.

Thanks all for the advice. I have decided to put a 50" long sheet of 3/4" plywood on the top of the stand (plus a sheet of styrofoam over the plywood) which will solve any potential problem. I suspect I "probably" would be okay, but for the peace of mind and the safety of my rapidly growing Koi Anglefish, I'll go the plywood route.

You can do that but you only need it to the edge of the tank. The additional overhang is not adding any strength, and might look "funny".

Generally manufacturers of tanks with trim recommend against any foam under the tank, as it can support the glass pushing up, allowing the edge to settle into the foam, and cause failures. You might check. It is tanks with side glass resting on the bottom glass that need foam. Tanks with side glass resting on the trim (or base) and bottom glass "floating" glued to the sides are not supposed to have foam.

Check with the manufacturer if in doubt, as what seems to be helping (the foam) may be hurting.

But the plywood is definitely a good idea, don't allow the trim to hang off, but you don't need more plywood than right to the edge of the trim unless you just want it.

Just cut small squares of foam and place them in the corners and middle of the tank, or cut a rectangle and trim out the middle to prevent any contact with bottom panel.

With all due respect, I think Brookster forgot what type of tank you have. Since it has no framework around it, it should be totally covered. The polystyrene is the right thing. It will give where it needs to. You don;t want a soft foam (a.k.a. Foam Rubber)as it does not offer much support. I'd cut the poly just slightly larger than the tank then rest the tank on top of it on the stand with plywood.

Hope this helps (y)

Edit: I may have confused 2 threads about tanks. lol There's another thread about a frameless tank on here. Yours has the frame doesn't it? In all honesty, it shouldn't matter. I use styro on ALL tanks, framed or not. The manufacturers of the tanks we sold in the stores recommended it as well as floating frames are not guaranteed against breaking from either weight or age. By using a full coverage piece of styro, the tank will not have any part having point pressure against it. If just using smaller pieces, you use it only around the edges so the frame is less likely to fail. Since styro is flexible, a large tank will crush it before it can damage any glass. My 10 gal tanks crush the 3/4" pieces I am currently using on my back porch rack as it is not level. I highly doubt a 55 will have any issues. ;)

Hope this helps

Is this a standard tank or frame less rimless?

Since I'm a rookie on this forum I thought I'd post a photo of my new (used) 55 gallon aquarium and stand. I appreciate all the comments. I also added a photo of my koi angelfish that will be going into this tank in the next few days. I have 9 of them, and I'll be allowing them to pair off, hopefully by February.

I have secured a nice sheet of 3/4" plywood 13" wide by 50" long. This should nicely fit on the top of the stand and give support. While I was planning to add a sheet of 1" styrofoam to the plywood under the tank, now I'm not so sure.

Kou Angelfish 064.jpg

Kou Angelfish 059.jpg

elmo, we are all trying to help, at times some jump to conclusions faster than they should. With that tank and that stand, it will be just fine placed directly on the plywood atop the stand. If for any reason the stand is badly warped and un even? Consider the styro..

Back
Top Bottom