5.5g What can I do with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtd1216

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been doing a couple FW tanks for about 3 years now. I have a 20g planted, and just finished up a 29g cichlid tank. I think i'm ready to work on tank three lol :lol: multiple tank syndrome i guess..

I have another 5.5g lying around that i wanted to use for something else. I was hoping a small SW setup. I've heard that it is harder to maintain water levels in a smaller tank than larger, but I only wanted to do a snail/shrimp/hermit set up maybe with some live rock. Is this do-able? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Right now, it has a 75w heater, and a AC 50

sure its doable. If it wasnt, you most likely wouldnt see a whole bunch of em on here would ya? :) lol

One thing you could do is try to set up a sump on it...try to find an old 20 gallon tank (or as big as you can find i suppose). Actually i dont know if 20 would be too big for it to work properly or not, so i'd wait to here about that, but i know a 10 would be fine. You could either pay to drill the tank (or do it yourself) or do a really small diy hang on overflow box. and then obviosly, have a small return pump (since its such a small tank) That would probably be plenty of flow for the tank, so then you'd just need about 5-8 lbs of live rock, and then about 4 or so pounds of live sand, or you could just get aragonite sand and it will eventually turn live. is the ac 50 an aquaclear? i'm guessing it is. I'm not sure, but i think that if you could get a sump on there in any way, that the ac 50 would pretty much be useless, and the heater would obviously go in the sump

hopefully someone can comment on the sump idea, as i have never tried it, but i'm sure i read where people do.

My husband was enchanted with the 5-gallon SW display tanks at the LFS, all thriving and beautiful. The 5 gallon setups have been there for a long time-somebody must be devoting themselves to keeping them immaculately maintained. But clearly it can be done well if you research and recognize how much effort is required.

As a side note, A LFS has a half -gallon 8O SW tank set up which is beautiful. There's tiny anemones, a half-inch cardinal and a very small shrimp in it. The cardinal was bred in the store-they have a SW "pond" as a display and just found the babies in there one day. The 1/2 gallon, well, a fantastic novelty but not sustainable, I think.

oh the only reason i was suggesting using a bigger sump was because he said that he'd like to do it in the 5.5...i took it that he would use that as the display, and i've heard of quite a few setups like that...where the person just likes the look of the smaller one on top of the desk, and they got the sump under it or somewhere.

and ya, i've seen quite a few setups like the one you put the link to. the jbj nanocube for one, has the thing in the back instead of the side.

I myself was trying to figure a way to set up a sump for a 2.5 one i had left over...never did manage to get the water to come back (unless someone knows how to revers a wisper 20 hob filter!!! lol long story)

but i was just gonna put some small corals in there as my first attempt at them, but then i got my 55 so i decided i'd just wait till i get my skimmer (which i'm finally getting soon) and my lighting, which i also might be getting soon.

Should i just use my current set up and do some live sand and live rock, then put in some crabs, snails, and maybe a cleaner shrimp? Would that be an ok set up?

How about put all your spare pocket change in it for a several months and then buy a larger tank that would be more appropriate for a starter SW set-up. :)

OK, it can be done, but the one thing to remember about SW is larger volume is actually better for the beginner because it is more forgiving.

In a 5.5g you could probably have 1 fish and a few small inverts. I think the temptation to overstock would be too great. Just ask Fishfrik. :p

Anyway, I like the link, that could be done and seems like a good plan, but again very small amount of livestock. 1 maybe 2 nano fish. Keeping water quality up will prove challenging.

These would be some appropriate fish:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124

Otherwise save up for a larger tank. IMO, a 55g or 75g would be an ideal starter tank if you have the money and space.

If money is an issue then that brings me back to my first suggestion. :)

Whatever you decide keep us posted,

Good luck,

Back
Top Bottom