5 gallon tank for bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pippi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I haven't had fish for a few years, so I'm pretty excited to start a new tank soon. I don't have too much money, but I've found an affordable 5 gallon tank that I like. Would I be able to keep more than one female betta in it, or is it good for only one? I'm not sure if I'd have room for a 10 gallon, but I've heard that is the minimum space they need. I've also heard a sorority of bettas will do fine in a 5 gallon. Any experience with this? Thanks. :)

I would only do one. Sororities don't do well with less than 4-5 females and in a 5 there isn't enough room for that many females to have their own territories. I wouldn't even try it in a 10. I had a sorority crash and burn in my old 20 gallon tank, it was a bloodbath. They picked each other off in like four days after doing ok for a month or so. I had 6 females. Right now I have a nice stable sorority of 8 in my 56 gallon and all is well. Some chasing but everyone has room to escape.

I haven't had fish for a few years, so I'm pretty excited to start a new tank soon. I don't have too much money, but I've found an affordable 5 gallon tank that I like. Would I be able to keep more than one female betta in it, or is it good for only one? I'm not sure if I'd have room for a 10 gallon, but I've heard that is the minimum space they need. I've also heard a sorority of bettas will do fine in a 5 gallon. Any experience with this? Thanks. :)

Hi! Personally, I think you should just get a 10 gallon :) When I received my 10 gal, it was a lot smaller than I thought it would be! (I wouldn't go bigger than 10 either :) ) :lol: Also, it's hard to maintain a stable ecosystem with anything smaller than 10. (btw, I don't know what a sorority is!) :ROFLMAO:

Good luck! (y) :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom