5 gallon to be planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 5 gallon tank that I'd like to turn into a planted tank. I have no experience with plants, but I assume it'd be pretty simple in a little 5 gallon tank. What are the first steps I should take? I have florescent lighting. Do planted tanks require filtration? Without fish in there I assume I'll need some kind of plant food. I would like to avoid using soil in my tank cuz I dont like the brown color that can come from soil. Any suggestions help.:Fade-color

I have a 5 gallon tank that I'd like to turn into a planted tank. I have no experience with plants, but I assume it'd be pretty simple in a little 5 gallon tank. What are the first steps I should take? I have florescent lighting. Do planted tanks require filtration? Without fish in there I assume I'll need some kind of plant food. I would like to avoid using soil in my tank cuz I dont like the brown color that can come from soil. Any suggestions help.:Fade-color

if it was my tank this is what I would do...

eco-complete for substrate....
DIY CO2, i or someone else can explain how this is done if you need directions
Dose Trace, Iron, Nitrates, Potassium, Phosphates (again exact amounts can be discussed later)
Get a hood for screw in bulbs, but put in the screw in compact fluorescents (preferably the straight kind of you can find them) get the "day-light kind, 20 watts each or so...

no fish, but stock with snails and shrimp :)

You do not need a filter, but you do need circulation throughout the aquarium.

These smaller aquariums actually aren't as easy as they seem. Since here is less water volume, it's easier for the water parameters to get out of balance. Further it takes more light than you would expect going by general guidelines to get descent lighting for the minimums that plants require.

I'd probably recommend going for a lower tech tank. Flourish Excel is an excellant carbon source and very affordable on this size tank as long as you don't want to keep any of the plants that react badly to it (Vals and Anacharis). With some light dosing and moderate light you could have a very nice aquarium, with less maintenance.

For circulation a small water pump is sufficient. I use the Via Aqua 180 in my small aquariums and it does great. Anything along those lines should be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom