55 gal drilled with sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheesy318

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have a planted tank with a "sump"? I currently have 1 75gal and 1 45 gallon freshwater non planted on one wall with a load bearing beam and a 29 gallon planted on another wall no beam . I want to combine the two and it been debated back and forth whether or not our floor can tolerate it.
It's only 10 more gallons I know, ideally it's be a 75.

Stock in the 45
2 angels
2 hi fin platy
1 guppy
1 sunset gourami
1 golden ram

29 gallon
3 gold cloud danios
3blue neon tetras
5 hi fin platy
1 angel
1 gourami gold and blue can't think of the name for the life of me
2 cherry barbs
1 bushel nosed Eco

Have plants too
Have fern
Java moss
Melon sword
Dwarf hair grass
Banana grass crockscrew

When I switch, it will be while just getting some research done first, cand I use fresh substrate or do I have to use the same. I plane on using established water from 29.

If you have a freshwater sump, what do you use for filtration or I should ask how do you set it up as a filtration device?

Any ideas welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I used to run a wet dry filter/sump many years ago with a planted tank. Sheets of foam and filter floss can be used to remove the physical waste. If you plan on injecting CO2 then quite a bit of it may be lost in the down spout or drain and in the media (if you use trickle media).
There is more bacteria in the gravel than in the tank water.

What is a wet/dry set up and how would one create that? Or how did you do it?

Here is a pic of a typical wet/dry filter:
sUU9Yh1.png

Basically it is a tank with chambers. Water drains from an overflow from the tank. It passes through a drip plate or rotating spray bar into the primary chamber which is filled with biomedia. The water trickles through the media where the gas exchange occurs and the oxygen is plentiful. This promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria where nitrogenous waste is broken down. After the primary chamber, water will pass through smaller chambers that often contain mechanical and chemical filter media, heaters, etc. In the final chamber is a return pump which pumps water back to the tank.
The sump is generally the (wet/dry) tank itself. It does not always have to be filled with trickle media. In saltwater setups, live rock is typically used.
The design is rather simple and if you have DYI skills, you can build one from an empty fish tank, glass partitions, and silicone.

Back
Top Bottom