55 gal South American cichlids.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The real pretty one was supposed to be a Texas cichlid. He is a hybrid of some type. The red devil was supposed to be a red Texas cichlid. Clearly he is not. Recommend not buying fish from Petsmart! The hybrid is beautiful and I am happy with him. But I have had a red devil before, and they are vicious! This one in particular doesn't seem to be as aggressive as the other one I had. So it can stay for now. There is also a convict, and Jack dempsy in there. I like buying my fish as juveniles and watching them grow. I just got them in Feb. They were about 1". Now they are close to 5-6". They grow fast. Texas cichlids, and green terrors are beautiful. But be prepared to upgrade in size. I am going to get a 100 gal for these guys in the near future.

The real pretty one was supposed to be a Texas cichlid. He is a hybrid of some type. The red devil was supposed to be a red Texas cichlid. Clearly he is not. Recommend not buying fish from Petsmart! The hybrid is beautiful and I am happy with him. But I have had a red devil before, and they are vicious! This one in particular doesn't seem to be as aggressive as the other one I had. So it can stay for now. There is also a convict, and Jack dempsy in there. I like buying my fish as juveniles and watching them grow. I just got them in Feb. They were about 1". Now they are close to 5-6". They grow fast. Texas cichlids, and green terrors are beautiful. But be prepared to upgrade in size. I am going to get a 100 gal for these guys in the near future.

Yeah my LFS has all of the fish you mentioned but not the hybrids and there all juvis :) so which could i keep in a 55g i am new to SA and how longs your tank been up

I sat mine up in Feb. Fish are growing fast. Most will get big. The green terror will only get about 6" max. They are quite beautiful. Convicts are cool. But can be quite ferocious. Perticularily if you get a male and a female, a d they spawn. There is a particular catfish that does well with south americans. Dont remember the name, but they are brown and have spots. Their whiskers have whiskers. They would do fine. Keep me posted as to what you decide. Would like to see pics. Also know that they will need lots of lace rock to hide in. They are also diggers. I got my gravel from a land scaping place, and is larger than regular aquarium gravel. The fish cant scoop it up with their mouths and blow it out. You can check out a video of my tank on youtube. bakermankg100. Also check out videos by jaywilson007, and getofish360. Lots of other great ideas on youtube as well . Good luck.

I sat mine up in Feb. Fish are growing fast. Most will get big. The green terror will only get about 6" max. They are quite beautiful. Convicts are cool. But can be quite ferocious. Perticularily if you get a male and a female, a d they spawn. There is a particular catfish that does well with south americans. Dont remember the name, but they are brown and have spots. Their whiskers have whiskers. They would do fine. Keep me posted as to what you decide. Would like to see pics. Also know that they will need lots of lace rock to hide in. They are also diggers. I got my gravel from a land scaping place, and is larger than regular aquarium gravel. The fish cant scoop it up with their mouths and blow it out. You can check out a video of my tank on youtube. bakermankg100. Also check out videos by jaywilson007, and getofish360. Lots of other great ideas on youtube as well . Good luck.

Is it a pictus catfish?

Good vids man! How do you fish get along?

They get along about as well as to be expected. Definitely need lots of rocks and fake plants. My Jack dempsy took a beating from one of my convicts. He has a little fin damage he may not recover from. But thats the price you pay for that type aquarium. I have recently sat up a live planted tank with rams in it. They are interesting to watch. I absolutely love my planted tank. Just learning about it. Also have some lamp brichardi in there as well. And a powder blue gromi . Looking to move my south americans to a 100 gal soon, then set my 55 up as a live planted tank.

Looks like your gunna need a bigger tank... I keep a striped raphael cat with my large fish. Stays under 8", only comes out at night to clean up and is armed to the teeth with spikes.

They get along about as well as to be expected. Definitely need lots of rocks and fake plants. My Jack dempsy took a beating from one of my convicts. He has a little fin damage he may not recover from. But thats the price you pay for that type aquarium. I have recently sat up a live planted tank with rams in it. They are interesting to watch. I absolutely love my planted tank. Just learning about it. Also have some lamp brichardi in there as well. And a powder blue gromi . Looking to move my south americans to a 100 gal soon, then set my 55 up as a live planted tank.

Why should the fish pay a price? Clearly its not working, remove em and grow em out or sell em.

My fish are well taken care of. If you read entire thread, you know I plan to get a bigger tank soon. Remember, advice given in kindness will be well received, but. Know and understand the entire situation.

Back
Top Bottom