55 Gallon Planted Tank Log - Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like T8s but i could be wrong. Taking a bulb out would help. Is the bloom attatched to the things in the tank or just floating? IE can you stir it up? it may be a diatom bloom wich will go away on its own once its food source (silicates) are extinguished.

I have a preliminary listing of fish to add to the tank. I know they are semi or more aggressive, so I'm hoping that keeping them all way will cut down on any problems. The fish store seems to think they will get along well enough:

3 - Odessa Barbs (I have these now)
4 - Tiger Barbs
1 - Rainbow Shark
1 - Placo
1 - Snow flake eel
1 - Bichir
4 - Puffer
1 - Jack Dempse
4 - Tinfoil Barbs

I was told that the Rainbow Sharks, Bichir and Jack Dempse don't do too well in groups, which is why only one of them at a time. As to the Placo, I don't think I need more than one in a 55g tank. I like the Tiger Barbs the most when it comes to groups. The puffers look really neat, but was told they aren't schooling fish, which is fine with me. I'm willing to throw out some of the barbs to have the puffers.

The store is also willing to do trade-ins if the fish get too large for the tank. They give store credit for wholesale price of the fish... sounds decent to me (better than nothing at least!).

Thoughts?

The puffers usually require brackish water in there adult hood. It does depend on the type of puffer. What type of pleco? Common ones are pretty much useless when it comes to algea. And they get kinda big and are a nono in a planted tanks. They like to uproot plants. Bristlenose plecos are my favorite they stay small and arent as rough on the plants

I would stay away from Jack Dempse with the other fish they grow quite big and will end up eating your other fish

I didn't write down the type of puffer, so I will have to look into that. I also didn't write down the type of Placo (and I really should have as there are a bunch out there!).

If the placo isn't the best choice alge eaters, what would be the recommendation? In' not dead set on one.

I know the Jack Dempse does get pretty big, but I wasn't planning on keeping him to be full-grown. As I mentioned, the store does accept fish for credit. I did fall in love with the look of that fish though... not dead set.

The only thing I'm really dead set on is the eel, and I know that may not be the best for planted tanks either, but I'm hoping if I give enough hiding spaces it will work out. I've got two 14" PVC pipes and will be adding rocks to hold them down.

SAEs (siamese algae eaters) or Ottonoculous catfish.(ottos) are a great choice for the planted tank (i preffer the ottos a small school of 4 would be fine they contribute very litte to the bioload) Puffers have to have snails to eat they love them and its hard to keep them on hand unless you have two tanks.

Small schools of ottos are good, I perfer 2 for every 10 gallon in the tank. You can have more if you want it's just what I perfer. CAE and SAE are cool too. But with CAE you will haave to get rid of him when he grows really big because he starts to think of bigger flat fish like angels and gourmis as floating surfaces and tries to eat the slim off the fish.

I have a CAE though and they are awesome.

Well, my tank has been going for about 2.5-3 weeks now. Took a sample of water to the store and all the levels look good so it looks like it is done cycling... time for some fish!

First, I re-arranged the tank because I just didn't like the way it looked. I like it better now:

And some of the new additions. The first one you can just see the nose of the Snowflake Eel in the back, and the Rainbow Shark close:

Here is a better picture of the Rainbow Shark:

Two quick updates.

After removing the 3rd light the amazon sword has been going down hill and most of the leaves are turning brown or dead. I've added it back today to try and save it. I can't think of any other changes that would have effected it.

Also, I lost my Rainbow Shark. I really don't know if it was Ick or a Bacteria or just an aggressive Tiger Barb. I haven't replaced him at this point. I want to see if any other fish start showing the same signs first. Now, I say lost, he didn't die. I gave him back to the pet store because nothing I was doing was helping and they didn't want him to be disposed of so they offered to take him. I was REALLY impressed that they wanted to take him and help him back to health instead of just saying "whatever" which was where I was at...

Back
Top Bottom