55 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I may get a 55 sometime in the future and if I do I would like to know what I can and cannot have in there. I want something large and exotic. Sort of like a predator tank but not really. Mainly because I'm not a huge carnivorous pet type of person...but some large plant eaters or large omnivores would be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The problem with a 55g is that it's soo narrow it limits what you can put in there.
Have you thought about a 75g instead?

Some gouramis would look nice. I like the pearl and moonlight gouramis.

What about an amazon biotope with a school of discus or angels with some tetras and cories to top it off? And maybe a bristlenose pleco?

Sent via TIE Fighter

The problem with a 55g is that it's soo narrow it limits what you can put in there.
Have you thought about a 75g instead?

Yeah a 75g might work. I have a large hard wood storage table with little drawers and things (sorry it's hard to explain) and it isn't very wide at all. I'm not sure if a 75g would work just because of the width problem. The table thingy is large enough for something enormous so length really isn't the problem.

Yeah a 75g might work. I have a large hard wood storage table with little drawers and things (sorry it's hard to explain) and it isn't very wide at all. I'm not sure if a 75g would work just because of the width problem. The table thingy is large enough for something enormous so length really isn't the problem.

Is it stirdy enough to hold the weight? You gotta figure 10lbs of weight for every gallon of water for a tank.

You really must make sure that your stand/table can hold the weight. Figure on about 8lbs per gallon of water, plus gravel, plus décor. If you want any rocks or stones that will add a lot too. I did a 75g recently, and with gravel, stone and water it was close to 1000 lbs. Not too many tables can hold that kind of weight.

It's not really a table its more like a storage room divider thing. it's very, VERY stable trust me. It's really hard to explain what is though. It's currently holding my ten gallon and my crystal collection.

Back
Top Bottom