55 gallon vs. 65 gallon -- Which is better? Volume vs. Surface area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
Which tank size do you recommend?

55 gallon (48" x 14" x 20")

65 gallon (36" x 18" x 24")

The 55 gallon has a bigger footprint.
But the 65 gallon has a bigger volume.

Which is better?

Bubble_B0y said:
Which tank size do you recommend?

55 gallon (48" x 14" x 20")

65 gallon (36" x 18" x 24")

The 55 gallon has a bigger footprint.
But the 65 gallon has a bigger volume.

Which is better?

It depends on what you want to stock it with, if you would like more middle and top level swimmers go with the 65, if you want more bottom dwellers get the 55. Tall fish like angels need more head room, but they do just fine in a 55 so that's not really an issue. If it were me I would get the 55 though, you can use the extra space on bottom to plant

Seriously it all depends on the type of fish you want want to keep and if you want live plants. A longer shallower tank is good for fish that like to school and move/swim alot or should I say active fish like rainbows, schooling tetras, etc. It is also better for plants simply because light doesn't have to penetrate as deeply allowing for better plant growth. A 65 would be good especially for large angelfish that need that extra verticle space. Other large slower fish that just tend to hang out will usually do good in a taller tank. Another thing I like about it is you have a slightly wider area that you can use better to add depth with your aquascaping. But the age old saying for tanks is get the biggest tank you can afford.

I prefer wider tanks (18" compared to 14"). Makes for a nicer "landscape".

A stand and hood/canopy for the 55 will be easier to find, and cheaper, than the 65.

Back
Top Bottom