55 gallon vs 75 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abemas

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking at buying a used tank and I have a couple on my radar. 55's seem to be everywhere but I'm debating if I should go for the 75 instead. This will be my first tank since I was a teenager so my fish skills are a little rusty. Anyways, based on the fact that a 75g takes up about as much room as a 55g is there any major advantage with going to the 75g? Obviously I can put more fish in but will there be a distinct limitation on a 55 that a 75 won't have?

definitely go with the 75 gallon. it has way better aquascaping capabilities than the 55. The extra few inches from front to back of the tank makes it so much nicer. oh and definitely go with the 75 gallon.

I vote for the 75 as well. It's just a bit wider than the 55, but that makes a big difference in aquascaping and the size of fish that you can put in it because they have more room to turn around.

The solution to pollution is dillution! The added water for a first timer is all the differents in a successful tank. The more water the more stable your tank parameters will be. So in a nut shell go 75g.

You can also get a 90. Just a bit taller. Won't be able to get any more fish in there but I think taller tanks look better.

i was going to get a 55 but found a 90 gal on craigslist for $100 with and aquaclear 110, 300 watt heater , bubbler, hood and lights. Also came with a couple big chunks of lava rock. Bigger is better

I have a 55 and I must say having either a 75 or a 90 would be much easier for aquascaping-its hard to fit all my plants and hardscape in the tank and make it work. Also it opens up more options for fish, and more fish as well. Always go as big as you can. Regardless your going to want a bigger tank in the future anyway.

If you have the option, you should measure the space you have then find a tank to fit. Then maybe you could get a 110. Bigger always better. You will regret not having the big tank as soon as you fill the 55.

I have both, I am getting ready to ditch the 55 as an active tank and use it for isolation, or may use as a sump when I build my 300. Definatly go with the 75. It is far easier to keep up, and the fish I have in it are thriving more so than the ones in the 55.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom