55g tank fixer upper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommytron

Aquarium Advice Addict
so we just acquired a used 55g tank for 15 bucks. one of the corners has a couple chips in the glass but nothing that reaches the seal at all. the glass is super thick, too. my concern is that it does not have the center brace piece. it's not missing, it seems it just was not made with one. without that piece I can't use the 2 glass lids from my 20g tanks that the 55g will be replacing. is there a way I could safely attach a DIY center brace to use my existing glass lids? if not, are there lids made for a tank like this?

You can silicone a piece of glass in as a center brace. you could also add something to the trim to span the tank and catch the ends of the tops. My choice would be the glass.

BillD said:
You can silicone a piece of glass in as a center brace. you could also add something to the trim to span the tank and catch the ends of the tops. My choice would be the glass.

sounds good...any ideas where I need to go to get the glass? I'm assuming I'd have to get it custom cut? if it's pricey, I'd almost rather just find a new top that will fit it as is. at fosterandsmithaquatics.com they have versa-tops, and list a 48" lid, but no other dimensions. can I assume it's for a standard 55g tank? thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom