55gal SA Blackwater Biotype-- Angels and ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keebee0321

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I am new and hope I am doing this right. Forums aren't something I am familiar with, but here it goes. :)

I am setting up a 55 gallon (US gallons) aquarium with the ideal that it will be some what of a South American Blackwater Biotype. Not "hardcore", but would like all species (flora and fauna) to be from that environment.

Currently the tank it has sand and gravel, some driftwood, and 4 sword plants (Echinodorus). I am looking into getting some Jungle Vallisneria (Vallisneria americana gigantea) as well.

My dilemma being this, while I love angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare), I don't want a species tank. I would like a school of tetras , Corydoras , maybe Rams (Microgeophagus ramirezi).

My question being, what numbers would be best on the fish listed (specifically the angels)? I have found conflicting information on keeping angels. I know they are cichlids and can be aggressive, but some sources say only one angel, while others insist on 4+. :confused: Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you,
keebee

I would say 4 Angels, 2 German Rams or Bolivian Rams ( I've always found these look better with Angels), 7 Med sized Tetra and 5 Corydoras. Thought its hard to put a figure on Angels, some of them can be very difficult.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom