5g... one Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a 5g planted tank that's holding my 3 (less than an inch long) peppered corydoras and 2 (about an inch long) glass cats. Once I get my ten gallon cleaned out and re-decorated the cories will be moved in there, and the glass cats will get a fifteen gallon with some new school-mates and maybe some kuhli loaches. With that spot of trouble out of the way, I know the only fish that can be kept permanently in a 5g are betta fish. I actually want a female betta, I've always liked them more than males. I've never actually owned a betta fish, but my brother has, so I'm asking some advice from you guys.
Stocking ideas? I have heard that multiple female bettas can be kept together, but I don't think I should risk it with a five gallon. I've also heard that females should be kept in groups of three or more or they get feisty. With all this conflicting information out there I'm not sure what to believe!
Should I get one f betta at first, then another? I could always take one out and put it in my brother's empty tank if they don't get along, but I definitely don't think I have enough room for three bettas in that tank.
Other tankmate possibilities with one f betta in a 5g? I've heard ADFs are fine with them.. But you know, I'm not experienced with bettas.
I have had ACFs before (the little monsters!) so I am experienced with caring properly for amphibians.
Suggestions? Wanna start the "Great Betta Debate"?
It'll probably be a week or so before I can move my cories and glass cats to their new homes, so I've got a good bit to decide.
Also, here's a picture of my tank, just because it's kind of adorable..
img_1250006_0_cfaec298be28cb313a02566853f38e64.jpg

This was when it had just started cycling, with no fish in. The plants have been rearranged a bit, but it still looks basically like this. It has a nice current in the middle and has plenty of oxygen from those plants and the filter.

One betta for a 5g. If you want multiple fish, there are some other micro species that could work. severum mama and HN1 could give you the names of these fish. Try PMing them.

I'll probably just stick to a single betta and a mystery snail or ADF. :)
Maybe my brother will get a male for his 5gal and we can breed them.

If you feel that one betta and one ADF/snail is very limiting, you could put the female betta in one of your larger tanks instead and use your 5 gallon as a shrimp-only tank (you could put quite a few in there).

Just a thought.

A betta would work fine. Sparkling gouramis would also be nice, you could keep 3 if they were the only fish. If you like schooling fish, you could try one of the Boraras species, celestial pearl danios, or possibly ember tetras.

Amano shrimp make nice tank mates for bettas IME, and they are great algae eaters. Mystery snails have a rather high bioload for their size, I'd skip them in a 5 gallon. A horned nerite or 2 would be nice, but nerites can be picky eaters if there is not enough algae to sustain them. One tylomelania snail would be a nice addition if you like snails more than shrimp.

I would not recommend trying multiple females. They tend to be territorial and a 5 gallon really is not enough space for multiples. IMO stick with either one male or one female if you decide to go with a betta.

Back
Top Bottom