5gall planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I decided to set this back up, though I am not 100% sure of what I want to do with it. Part of me wants to have a small school of somthing (tetras, rasboras), another part wants me to do a betta and a school of pygmy coryadoras, and then another option was a celebs rainbow, though they are kind of expensive, though prob. worth it, and lastly I kind of want to breed somthing, other than livebearers.
I know 5gallons is not a huge amount to work with, so lets hear your opinions. :D

Attachments

• Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Picture 068.jpg
    Picture 068.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture 071.jpg
    Picture 071.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Picture 072.jpg
    Picture 072.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 71
i would go betta and pygmy cories, personally. i have a similar setup with a betta and otos.

i am trying to stock my planted 5 gallon now. i am thinking about 2-4 gertrude's rainbows and maybe a couple of otocinclus. but i am also considering killifish or a school of about 6 pygmy cories. they have such personality.
i really like the small rainbow fish. maybe jellybean tetras?
hope i could give you some good ideas. your tank looks great so far.

imo rainbows needs a bigger tank than this. even the dwarfs need plenty of swimming space to be healthy.

A 5 gallon really is too small even for one oto. If you're looking for algae eaters go with snails or shrimp in an aquarium this small.

IMO the tank is too small for cories and rainbows (even the dwarves). My dwarf cories are all over my 40g........and even when they were in my 10g, they were really active and schooled everywhere. Anything under 10g doesn't really give them the room they need to be happy, but everyone doesn't feel the same as I do about that........

Make it a shrimp tank! The colony will eventually outgrow the tank, but that's another excuse for more tanks. :D Shrimp are so fascinating....you won't regret having them.

There aren't really any schooling fish I'd recommend for a 5g, but I'm all for giving fish the room they deserve.

Male endlers might be ok....they are pretty darn small.

thanks for all the opinions... I still dont know... but I guess I do have a little while to decide...

Great looking tank!

If I were you, I'd do a betta! In my opinion, nothing trumps a nice HM or OHM male.

Or you could do a shrimp tank like already suggested, I love my RCS alot, but if I could I would change over to a breeding trio of blueberry or tiger or CRS to start a colony. The best thing about shrimp breeding is, if you get them in bulk from AB, you can often make a large profit off of selling them and trading them into the LFS in order to pay for the hobby. Even a small breeding colony of CRS could quickly make the expense worthwhile. [/sales pitch] lol :D

If you can find 'em, I would do a single zebra nerite snail in there, I have yet to find them in the US though, but from what I can find, they are not illegal and all of the UK and most other contries has them, but they also get asian arows.:bowl:

Is that TMBS you are using or just crushed black quartz? I love the look of it but only have black quartz available to me.

TMBS is what I have, it is a pain to wash out but I like it so far! I have always heard bad things about it and so I decided to try it on my 5 and 2.5galls...
I really do think I will just go with a betta, as CRS are not available here and I dont want to have them shipped to me, so a betta will keep me happy!

I have a Betta in my 5 gallon planted (recently upgraded from a 1g bowl) and it's AMAZING how much he swims around and "begs" for food....he's got SO MUCH personality, and it's much more visible in his large new home. So I'd advocate for the Betta as well :)

What's the plant in the back right corner? I'm also trying to start planting my 5 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom