65 Gallon Stocking Ideas (compatibility)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodylankan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I recently setup a new 65 gallon planted lo-tech tank. The details about my tank are in my signature below. I have tons of hiding places in the plants and also created a "sand path" for fish that love the white sand (whichever fish that is)

My current setup is;
10 x Cardinal Tetras
10 x Glass Red Fin Tetras
3 x Flying Foxes
3 x Oto's

All these fish are very small and I feel like I need a centerpiece main attraction fish in there along with a few other fish because the tank still feels pretty empty.

I'm currently looking into getting but not sure if these will be compatible in my tank and I want a peaceful community tank.

- 3 x Rams
- 1 x Angel (centerpiece maybe)
- 6 x Shrimp (which type of shrimp would best fit in)
- 7 x Cory's of some sort
- 4 x Bosemani Rainbows
- 5 x Denison Barbs

Do all these above fish get along with each other?
Should I add anything else into this mix?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Personally, I would forgo the clown loaches as I think that they'll get too big for your tank, but I'd up the cories to the 7-8 range. If you still want loaches look at the kuhli loach.

Also, with the rams I'd try to get all of the same sex because if you get a breeding pair it could get pretty ugly...

One angel fish is a good idea though, this is sounding very similar to my 55g;)

The blue-yellow fish are a rainbow fish (not sure which type though)
The greenish ones with the red stripe (or at least this is the one I think you're thinking of are denison barbs.

Yea those are the exact ones im looking at bosemani rainbows and denison barbs!!

This is my current setup.

Rainbows love being in large schools. Try getting at least 6

Beautiful set up.

Your stocking looks good to me but I would change on thing. I'm not a fan of flying foxes since they don't do anything for the tank and can get aggressive. Go with true siamese algae eaters instead. They look the same, the difference is the SAE (siamese algae eater) will actually help keep the tank clean (love them) and the black line that runs the length of the body goes into the tail as well where as with the flying fox it stops. Also, on the flying fox the line is straight where as on the SAE it's more like a pattern: v^v^v^

You should probably get amano shrimp. They are bigger, and shouldnt be bothered by the rams and angel. That seems like it will be a sweet setup. I would drop the rainbow or denison barbs they are very active fish and with both groups, and all the tetras, that would be tons of actions in the mid-top level of the tank. I would do striatia botia instead of the cory cats.

You should probably get amano shrimp. They are bigger, and shouldnt be bothered by the rams and angel. That seems like it will be a sweet setup. I would drop the rainbow or denison barbs they are very active fish and with both groups, and all the tetras, that would be tons of actions in the mid-top level of the tank. I would do striatia botia instead of the cory cats.

Is there any other type of shrimp I can use. Something with more color?

Yellow shrimps
img_2813518_0_04071f6e45ea81ddff060bc0e0e0a1a6.jpg

Blue Velvet Shrimps
Blue_Dream_Velvet_Garnele_RENDO-SHRIMP_4-1.png

You could possibly... If you plant very heavily and allow for places for the shrimp to hide because the rams and angels will hunt them down. To be honest if you want shrimp, I'd just set up a bowl or small tank;)

You could possibly... If you plant very heavily and allow for places for the shrimp to hide because the rams and angels will hunt them down. To be honest if you want shrimp, I'd just set up a bowl or small tank;)

Would Denison Barbs or the Rainbow fish hunt them down too?
I'm willing to give up on the Ram's and Angels to get shrimp

IMO yellow and blue velvet shrimp would also be too small. They are neocardinia too, like RCS, right?

Go with amano, they're bigger and will clean the tank better.

And dragonfish gave you some good advice about the flying foxes ;)

Sounds like a great tank! What kind of rams are you thinking of? Because you might like Apistogramma Cacatuoides better, but they are pretty similar.

Hello
I just filled my 65 gallon tank and i have mixed:
10 Amano Algea eater (which they are really good to clean everything)
6 Zebra Snails
5 Dwarf Gouramies ( i know they dont really like each other, but since they have a lot of space they dont bug each other)
5 red line torpedo Barb
With that my tank is pretty foul and peaceful too.
I was thinking adding 10 little neon tetras or something similar just to have more mouvements.

thoses are a good mixt so far.

Back
Top Bottom