65G High-Tech Rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DTWGulo

Aquarium Advice Activist
65 High-Tech Build
I trashed my 65 low-tech last fall and spent the winter planning, plotting, and building. The tank's finally looking decent, so it's time to share my utterly novice adventure in plumbing and construction. I've been in the hobby for 6 years and have built several tanks of various types. The prototype for this tank was a 12 gal JBJ cube that I turned into a mini-high-tech, high-light tank. Figured I'd go big or go home on this one. Turned all the livestock, plants, shrimp, snails in at the LFS for credit to buy supplies for the new build. Went this way:

Handbuilt stand, waterproof paint.
Foam auto-leveling mat, applied 2 layers.
Tank was already painted black on the back.
Lighting grate to keep the rocks up off the glass.
Sorted my dragon stone by color after hosing it off multiple times to get rid of the clay and sediment.
Decided to gamble on cheap high-power Mars-Aqua LED Light fixtures. Bought 2 of them and plan to use mainly the RGB channel. The blue/UV channel is turned on at lowest power to cool the light a bit and give the plants that extra UV kick they seem to like. For whatever stupid reason, I don't have pics of the arms I've mounted them from. I also foolishly can't find the receipt to offer up the brand. I know they're arms for a major LED light company. I used a threaded eye and a nut to create a loop from which I used the clip included with the Mars-Aqua LEDs to hang the lights. Zip tied the cables to the arms to keep things tidy.
Used lava rock to create the base for the mountains. I had already done a 'dry run' with rock and roughly knew how I was going to stack up all of the pieces to build what I wanted to build.
Assembled some PVC pipe to create a way to hide filter intakes/returns, and to possibly give a pleco somewhere nifty to hide.
Used silicone and sand to coat the pipes in sand to hide them. Messy but worked well!
Used Fluval coral putty/epoxy and silicone to assemble the rocks securely on the lava rock and PVC pipe base.
The base layer of gravel was Ecocomplete, just enough to cover the lighting grate.
Added Bacter 100 from ADA.
Added CarbiSea Flora-Spore just before filling the tank (later)
Then I put down a layer of coco fiber matting.
Atop that, enough Ecocomplete/Flourite gravel and sand to mound up the landscape the way I wanted it.
Secured curly willow branches with silicone and coral putty/epoxy
Installed the Marineland Magnaflow 360.
Installed a Cobalt MJ-1200 powerhead that runs to my Aquaultraviolet UV Sterilizer (15W)
Installed a PVC CO2 reactor (homemade) in-line with the filter return.
10lb CO2 cylinder w/2-stage reactor, Milwaukee MC122 pH controller.
Using a Zoomed power strip w/digital timer to turn on the lights/CO2.
Since initial fill, have added a powerhead, circulation fan, and surface skimmer.

Plants:
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Hygrophila araguaia
Bucephalandra sp. (Katherine, 'green')
Pogostemon helferi
Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
Utricularia graminifolia (since removed because that plant is the devil and I can not make it grow to save my life)
Various moss species (Spiky, weeping, Taiwan)
Hydrocotyle tripartia sp. 'Japan'
Ludwigia 'Rubin'
Ludwigia arcuata
Pogostemon erectus (barely visible, and it's likely to come out)

Fertilizing with Greenleaf Aquarium PPS-Pro system, Flourish Advance
Supplemental bacteria with Seachem Equilibrium, Pristine
Seachem clarity (3 treatments at the beginning to get rid of the chuff in the gravel, plants, rocks)
AquaBiotic Botanical weekly

Fauna:
Currently just hitchhiking snails from my other tanks
Plan is to stock Danio tinwini if I can get enough to make a single big school.
Other fish on the want list include Jae Barbs, Fire Barbs, CPD, Kyburz Tetra, Red-Blue Peru Tetra, Yoma Danio. I'd like to go with a single species large school, so it all depends on what I can get that comes in healthy and doesn't have a 60% mortality rate 2 days after shipping.

Had a crazy slime/hair algae breakout a few weeks after putting in the plants. Manual removal plus a couple of H2O2 + Metricide/Excel dosings knocked that down. Once the plants were better established, that went away. But then... stag horn! That showed up when I was running the UV/Blue light channel way too hot. As soon as I scraped most of it out and shut down the UV light a bit, it went away.

So far so good?

Attachments

• Tank65Remodel_20171213_0485.jpg
    Tank65Remodel_20171213_0485.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Tank65Remodel_20171213_0489.jpg
    Tank65Remodel_20171213_0489.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Tank65Remodel_20171213_0497.jpg
    Tank65Remodel_20171213_0497.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 97
  • Tank65Remodel_20171224_0543.jpg
    Tank65Remodel_20171224_0543.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 83
Part 2 of pics...

Attachments

• Tank65Remodel_20171228_0546.jpg
    Tank65Remodel_20171228_0546.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Tank65Remodel_20171230_0548.jpg
    Tank65Remodel_20171230_0548.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Tank65Remodel_20171230_0550.jpg
    Tank65Remodel_20171230_0550.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Tank65Remodel_20171231_0560.jpg
    Tank65Remodel_20171231_0560.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 85
Part 3 of pics....

I did NOT up the saturation of the color on the last planted pic. These lights are creating some absolutely blazing reds in my plants. Definitely have some spotlighting due to the proximity and intensity of the overhead lights, but that's ok, too.

Attachments

• Tank65Remodel_20171231_0563.jpg
    Tank65Remodel_20171231_0563.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Tank65Remodel_20180101_0568.jpg
    Tank65Remodel_20180101_0568.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Tank65Remodel_20180101_0592.jpg
    Tank65Remodel_20180101_0592.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Tank65Remodel_20180422_0062.jpg
    Tank65Remodel_20180422_0062.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 106
Great project. I especially like the Dragon Stone, lava rock combination. I've considered using rubber leveling mats on my tank stands. Never thought about foam. I always end up using shims. I'm a true "Black Thumb" regarding plants, so obviously not an aqua Gardner. It appears that you didn't use common everyday water plants. Your scape has a very unique garden look. Thanks for sharing. (y)

Agree with above, looks great [emoji106] can’t wait to see the grow in [emoji16] keep us posted

Quick Update

I've been using Flourish Advance. I think that it actually does make a difference in terms of how quickly the plants establish. There is a notable difference between how they behave in this tank (roots first, then crazy growth) compared to my other non-Advance tanks. I haven't had a lot of time to commit to this build in the last week or so, and won't have any time for another week and a half. Thankfully, no fish or shrimp in there yet. Just freeloading snails, but they're self-sufficient. Running CO2 into the yellow on the drop checker just to give the plants a boost. I'm half-tempted to keep it this way and not add any fish for a while. All depends on what the LFS can get off my crazy wish list for fish and plants.

Attachments

• IMG_3147.jpg
    IMG_3147.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3148.jpg
    IMG_3148.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 72
I've been using Flourish Advance. I think that it actually does make a difference in terms of how quickly the plants establish. There is a notable difference between how they behave in this tank (roots first, then crazy growth) compared to my other non-Advance tanks. I haven't had a lot of time to commit to this build in the last week or so, and won't have any time for another week and a half. Thankfully, no fish or shrimp in there yet. Just freeloading snails, but they're self-sufficient. Running CO2 into the yellow on the drop checker just to give the plants a boost. I'm half-tempted to keep it this way and not add any fish for a while. All depends on what the LFS can get off my crazy wish list for fish and plants.

great looking tank! very unique!

Update!

goatnad reminded me to update this with some current pics. Glass is filthy but I just did a trim back and ripped out some stuff I had between the mountains. It just wasn't matching the scale of the rest of the tank. The plants had also grown in so thickly on the rocks that you couldn't see any of the dragon stone. Cleaned that up some and I'm gradually winnowing down to a few specific plant types for the whole tank.

I had to trim the carpet down by about 1" in height before the photo was taken. Growing in like crazy, which was the single criteria for success in this particular tank. I wanted lights bright enough in a tank this high to grow a carpet properly on the floor. So far, so good! The main drawback to that has been battling algae. Staghorn, BBA, and a tiny bit of slime way at the beginning.

Still no livestock in here. I've struggled to find the species I have decided to choose from for a single-species large school. Gold Ring Danio (Danio tinwini), or Jae Barb (Barbus Jae) will be the school. Eventually I'd like to get in a ton of one color morph of some Neocaridina. Just can't decide on a good color. Blue? Green? Yellow? Don't want red, got other tanks with those...

Anyway, here's the latest:

Attachments

• IMG_3268.jpg
    IMG_3268.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3271.jpg
    IMG_3271.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 60
man that really has grown in well. that carpet is looking great. thick and green. you definitely are doing something right :) for your fish selection i like the gold ring danios more. the fire ring danios look super awesome! love the spotting on the danios but the jae barbs are beautiful fish also. i think either would look really nice in the tank.

Very nice use of vertical space.
A school of emerald Eye rasboras keep a tight school for the most part.
Red, blue, or yellow neos would show up well in that tank.

Got some fish, finally!

Many many trials and tribulations later, I've settled on a neat-looking, rarely seen species for the tank. Lake Inle Danio (Demario auropurpureus). They're sourced from a place I swore I'd not buy danios from again due to high mortality in 2-3 days after shipping. This batch seems to be doing well, but I did shotgun some quarantine and intake medication protocols.

11 fish in a 10 gallon tank
•every other day water change 50%
•prazi-pro, 2 treatments 3 days apart
•Poly-Guard every 2-3 days
•Jungle Labs Small Fish Saver every 2-3 days
•Seachem Stability daily
•extremely careful feeding to minimize waste

Since these are the only fish going into that tank for the next few months at least, I'm only going to do a 1-week quarantine. Just need to get them through the introductory period, then into the main tank.

Crappy cellphone pic, but here it is:

Attachments

• 01884212-C6A5-47CB-8298-78175FA1B8EB.jpg
    01884212-C6A5-47CB-8298-78175FA1B8EB.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom