6g Eclipse Betta tank with sand substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Briggsy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday I started setup on a 6g eclipse set up. I used a marine live sand substrate. I rinsed it thoroughly and I am actively checking chemicals to make sure there are no issues with salinity. I have 3 pieces of driftwood in there as well. The water is incredibly clear already. I wanted to keep it in the theme of an Asian biotope. I want only plants from Asia. Any suggestions? The plan is to add, a HM Plakat Betta and Yamato Shrimp. But I was wondering if anyone had any plant suggestions for me. As well how soon should I plant? Thanks for the help.

I'm curious as to why you chose to use Marine Live Sand for your substrate? Anything live will die in freshwater and it often contains crushed coral or argonite which raises the KH/pH.

You planting choices will be dictated by your lighting. How much light does this setup come with?

I'm curious as to why you chose to use Marine Live Sand for your substrate? Anything live will die in freshwater and it often contains crushed coral or argonite which raises the KH/pH.

You planting choices will be dictated by your lighting. How much light does this setup come with?

I am aware that the live sand will die. I chose it for the reason I got it for a really good price and I was looking for a freshwater alternative but no one in my area had any what so ever. So enough the sand will be populated with its freshwater counterparts. The light is a florescence, 16amp. I am not sure of the wattage I couldn't find it anywhere on the light. I spoke to several people I know that have used marine substrate in freshwater set ups with a lot of luck. I am curious to how much the pH will be raised.

As long as you understand the effects of using Live Sand there should be absolutely no issues with using it.

Okay. I did some digging and found this info on your lighting. Based on that I'd say that you'll have to stick to low light plants like: Java Moss, Java Ferns, Crypts, and Anubias.

I'd wait until you don't have any ammonia readings before planting. Ammonia plus Light tends to result in Green Water which is a pain to get rid of. Until then just keep the light off to help curb any algae growth.

Oh man right on, thanks for the help. Seeing how I used a live sand, how long would you advise I wait before adding the Betta and shrimp. I need a solid growth of algae for the Yamato shrimp so it will be some time. But any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You need to see Ammonia and Nitrites at zero with the Nitrates rising. Then you know that the cycle is complete and it's safe to add fish. You could add the shrimp as soon as the cycle is complete as long as you supplement its diet with prepared food. I personly would wait 2-4 weeks after planting though. If you find that your cycle is complete but you aren't going to be able to get your fish right away, you'll need to add another ammonia source (pure ammonia, raw shrimp, or fish food) to keep the beneficial bacteria alive.

Alright, I think I understand so wait 2-4 weeks after I plant to add fish. Make sure my Ammonia and Nitrites are at zero and make sure the Nitrates are rising. So when that all hits zero and I plant do then start supplementing the tank with alternative ammonia source?

Not quite. You can add the fish right after the aquarium has finished cycling. It's the shrimp that I'd recommend waiting until after it's been planted for 2-4 weeks. This gives the aquarium time to mature and develop algae and other stuff for them to munch on.

Actually you'll need to start supplementing Ammonia as soon as it hits 0. I forgot to mention that. Otherwise the first set of beneficial bacteria will start dying off while the ones to consume Nitrite are still multiplying. You'll only need to keep supplementing until the aquarium is finished cycling and your are ready to add fish. Do a large water change to get the Nitrates down right before adding the fish (and remove the ammonia source if you used a raw shrimp or fish food). Once the fish are in the aquarium they will provide the ammonia source.

What would be better the raw shrimp or fish food for the ammonia source? If the food is better what kind would you recommend.

It's easier to get the consistantly high ammonia levels with raw shrimp, but most of us have fish food on hand. Really up to you which you prefer to try.

Alright, sounds good. About how much food would you add just a pinch? Oh and I saw another thread about how to plant and it mentioned Java Ferns and Crypts, My substrate in the tank is fairly deep. I wanted to give myself enough to work with. When I do plant should I plant the Java Ferns a certain way? When it comes to the plants I am liking the Java Moss and Ferns, as well as the Anubias. Oh and another thing I was wondering I have heard a lot of people comment on Africa Dwarf Frogs and Bettas. Everyone that has mentioned it says they make great tankmates. I was wondering if I had the one Betta, 3-5 Yamato Shrimp, and 1 African Dwarf Frog if that would be to much.

The Java Ferns and Anubias will do best tied to driftwood or rocks. Java Moss can also be tied to driftwood or rocks. I prefer to use an inexpensive cotton thread. For Crypts I like to trim the roots back to about 4" and then plant the roots at a slight angle to help them stay put better until the roots grow enough to anchor the plant in place.

I just did a test and my pH is a little on the high side. Not to far off. I forgot to get an Ammonia test kit however. Need to go get one. Oh and another question I am not using a heater in the tank, but the temp. in the tank is 82 degrees. Am I going run into issues with that high of a temp or do I need to lower it, and if so how do I?

Back
Top Bottom