75 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Weaver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After a tank crash several months ago, I believe it is time to start re-stocking my 75 gallon display tank. Though the tank will not be a "reef tank" for quite some time, I would like the inhabitants to be able to coexist with corals, if this transformation does occur. So far, the desired list includes (in order of importance):
1 Coral Beauty
3 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Engineer Goby
3 Spotted Cardinalfish
Some kind of feather dusters
1 Kole Yellow Eyed Tang

There currently reside 3 peppermint shrimp. Would this be a full and compatible selection? Any advice or comments are appreciated. :)

That list looks fine with the exeption of 3 clowns. I would get a pair. 1 of the 3 will get bullied/harassed to death.

As was said. 2 clowns max in that size tank. Also forget the tang. Koles should have at least a 150 to be healthy. Otherwise they,like most tangs, will probably die of Ich because of stress. I would personally go for a large reef safe wrasse or a group of schooling fish like chromis or firefish.

Minimum for any tang should be 125+ for health reasons. Not saying you CAN'T keep one in a 75, just that its not always healthy for the fish

I'm usually one of the first to jump on people for putting fish in tanks that are "too small". I agree that most Tangs need a 6' tank, but also believe that Koles, Two Spots, Tominis, etc are fine in a 75. They have different swimming habits and can do just fine in smaller (75g min though).

So down to two clowns. I had initially wanted to do a red head solon fairy wrasse, but was told they were picky eaters. Thanks for the tang info, the last thing i want is another ich infection, because thats what caused the first crash. Would a red head solon fairy wrasse be an okay replacement? Im looking for a fish of decent size. Also, would it be pushing the limit to try and add a small school of firefish?

I would personally get firefish instead of the cardinals. Get 5 firefish and a cool wrasse that's reef safe and you'll be good to go

Can i do both? Like three of each? Or would i be overstocked then?

You can do 3 cardinals although they might act more aggressive toward other fish since they're in a group. 3 firefish..I've read that can end in fighting. Best to do a little school instead of a trio. You could get one of each and it would be fine.

I have a red head Solon fairy wrasse and have no trouble with him eating. He is a bit aggressive towards my other wrasse but not much, just a little chasing at meal time.

I really enjoy how the cardinalfish look, very distinct, but I suppose i will just do a small school (5 or 6) firefish instead. Thanks for the input everyone!:thanks:

So, the finalized stocking (at least for fish):
1 Coral Beauty
1 Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse
1 Engineer Goby
2 Ocellaris Clowns
6 Firefish

Everything sound good? And would there be any territorial disputes if they were all introduced in the same day?

That would be a large bio-load at once. I'd add a few every couple weeks. Except the clowns and firefish, I'd add them all at once. I'd also do the firefish first as they are the least territorial and need to stake out hiding places.

Not territorial but perhaps a spike in parameters! I don't think it's a good idea to add them all at once. Do a couple at a time, wait a week etc. obviously do the pairs and school together tho...

Oh, okay. I forgot about that part. The first time, there were only a few total, so that wasnt to be worried about. Thanks for that. :) So the clowns and firefish first, probably the goby next, and then the angelfish followed by the wrasse?

week 1 fire fish
week 3 clowns
week 5 goby
week 7 angel
week 9 wrasse
this will help give your tank a chance to build its bb slowly over time and not overload your system all at once

Back
Top Bottom