75g newly planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biosfear

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had this aquarium for several years keeping cichlids, plecos, corys, and some eel thing that just recently ate too many feeders and suffocated.
I recently moved and adopted out all of my fish to start from scratch. The gravel, filters and such are all "cycled" as I guess you would say.
So I got this puppy up and running again and have decided to make it more natural. At my wife's insistence I put a couple "bright happy fish" in it (mollies) while I figure out what I want to do.
I've removed all plastic and artificial decoration and added some driftwood I found and some plants from the pet store.
As i am very new to this, it's all pretty much trial and error. I've successfully kept many different fish, but fish and plants is a bit more difficult it would seem.
My darn plants aren't doing very well!
Lighting lighting lighting.......???
Are the t5 or high output lights absolutely necessary?
I picked up a couple long tubular plant growing bulbs for my regular fixtures. 2 18" bulbs, one at either end. And one 24" bulb running the length. The aquarium appears to be well lit and the bulbs promise to hit the needed spectrums. I'm also dosing

image-3355048603.jpg

with excel and flourish .... WTF? Will these bad bears ever grow up to be big strong plants?

Water circulation..... I put in a powerhead when the plants closest to my filter seemed to be doing better. How does water circulation affect plant growth?

I guess I don't have much of a green thumb... Any suggestions??

T5ho lights aren't absolutely necessary, but they are the best bang for your buck and I highly recommend switching to a 2x54w fixture for a fairly cheap, quick, and easy light upgrade.

The difference between a 2 bulb t5ho fixture and a 2 bulb t8 or t12 fixture is night and day.

If you want to keep it on the cheap just go with one of the cheap ebay oddysea fixtures, not the best fixtures ever but they get the job done and they are cheap (~$65 shipped to home if you are in the US)

Excel and flourish aren't going to do a whole lot if you don't have the lighting to compliment them.

Back
Top Bottom