A couple questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Currently I have 2 10g aquariums set up; one with 1 female Betta, the other 2 female Bettas & 2 GCAE's. I have decided to break down & invest in about a 30g tank probably this weekend move all of those into it when safe to do so, those 5 should be OK in a 20-30g right? I know I'll need to keep an eye them for signs of aggression. Then i'll move my male Bettas into the 10g's, each to their own of course. One question is what small schooling fish can I add to the 10g tanks that won't over stock them? Another question, in setting up a 20-30g tank is a bubbler a necessity? I keep seeing they are being used but don't know if they are always necessary or when they are necessary.

On the assumption the GCAE are just Chinese Algae Eaters.

I would say firstly one of your CAE needs to go, I don't think a 30G tank is sufficient for two of them...alternatively you could wait and one will probably kill the other.

Secondly I can't see your bettas not fighting to the death as that's what they do, try to make sure your tank is heavily decorated/planted if you do choose to go down this path so they can each establish their own area.

Thirdly schooling fish are terrible with bettas as they tend to swim constantly which stresses out bettas, the only fish I can think of adding to the 10G with male betta would be pygmy cories.

Finally you will only need an air stone if your filter's outflow doesn't break the water surface.

Cynic said:
On the assumption the GCAE are just Chinese Algae Eaters.

I would say firstly one of your CAE needs to go, I don't think a 30G tank is sufficient for two of them...alternatively you could wait and one will probably kill the other.

Secondly I can't see your bettas not fighting to the death as that's what they do, try to make sure your tank is heavily decorated/planted if you do choose to go down this path so they can each establish their own area.

Thirdly schooling fish are terrible with bettas as they tend to swim constantly which stresses out bettas, the only fish I can think of adding to the 10G with male betta would be pygmy cories.

Finally you will only need an air stone if your filter's outflow doesn't break the water surface.

Thank you for the info. Your assumption is correct on GCAE'S. They were purchased on misinformation. I've read up on them some since & I know they can get VERY aggressive but I've also read that they can co-habitate with little to no problem same as with the female Bettas. There are a lot of different experiences with both. So far I'm not having problems with the 2 female Bettas that have been housed together for the last 3-4 months, there has been no fighting whatsoever but I know that could change. Sounds like I may end up with more than 3 tanks anyways. I just know I need to get my male Bettas & the GCAE'S into bigger environments so I'm asking the questions to find my best options. :)

Thank you for the info. Your assumption is correct on GCAE'S. They were purchased on misinformation. I've read up on them some since & I know they can get VERY aggressive but I've also read that they can co-habitate with little to no problem same as with the female Bettas. There are a lot of different experiences with both. So far I'm not having problems with the 2 female Bettas that have been housed together for the last 3-4 months, there has been no fighting whatsoever but I know that could change. Sounds like I may end up with more than 3 tanks anyways. I just know I need to get my male Bettas & the GCAE'S into bigger environments so I'm asking the questions to find my best options. :)

I actually feel sorry for CAE, I would imagine they are the victims of both poor sales ethics/disclosure and a harsher than reality belief about their disposition.

I agree they will co-habitate with your bettas easily, I don't believe they will co-habitate together is all

the female bettas should be fine together, It's mostly the males that are the worry. I've kept multiple females together with no issue. Of course each fish has their own personality so they may take at each other but I say you have a fair chance of everything going smoothly as far as they are concerned.

I don't think there is much you could do for the males in their tanks... maybe some snails or shrimp but some males just don't like any company at all.

as for the bubbler I'm not really sure... I've honestly been wondering the same thing. lol. I'd say it's a non issue with your bettas. Being labyrinth fish and all.

I don't think there is much you could do for the males in their tanks... maybe some snails or shrimp but some males just don't like any company at all.

I agree that snails/shrimp are the only real alternative.

Small tropical schooling fish, like neons for example, will do best in groups of about a half dozen or more, and you'd quickly be overstocked in the 10 gallon -- and this is aside from the fact that male bettas do like to be left alone.

I don't know much about CAEs so I'll leave comments there to others. When it comes to a female betta sororitiy, it's my understanding that groups of 5+ help to diffuse aggression, or at least ensure that whatever aggression is present will be 'spread out' among multiple fish. Certainly many people have successfully kept smaller groups without issue, but I just thought I'd point this out.

Such a sorority could comfortably fit in a 30 by themselves, but again, I don't know what the addition of CAEs would do to the mix and/or stocking level (knowing little about them).

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom