A question about box filters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJ_fishkeeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody. I just recently got another 30 gallon breeder tank for free. This will be my second 30 gallon now. But I don't have a filter that can cycle 30 gallons 4 or more times an hour yet.
So my question is, if I run 2 box filters rated for up to 20 gallon tanks. Would it cycle the water enough??
I know to place the filters at opposite ends of the tank. And that the media I use will also make a difference to.
So I was thinking I will use media rated for a 20 gallon tank in each box filter as well. Would that be sufficient enough??

Yes, 2 x filters rated for a 20 gallon tank will be "more" than a single filter rated for a 30 gallon tank.

Best way to know what your turnover will be is to know the gallons per hour the filter puts out.

well if I may I have a couple of suggestions and thoughts , for box filters I would highly recommend the fluval C3 or C4 I run a 2o gallon long and 2 C-3s , this provides max water flow across the tank with no dead spots . A nice touch is I can adjust the flow of the C-3s . Another advantage is I am not tied to buying costly media from Fluval . I cut my own filters from this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AHIOM8A/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?pd_rd_i=B01AHIOM8A&th=1 so I save a bundle , I use media bags for charcoal or what not . You can get these filters on amazon well worth the money and for Your bigger setup I would be tempted to get 2 C-4s and run them on the slowest setting because these will realy put out at highest setting :)

Back
Top Bottom