a question about compatabilty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meola

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just wanted to gather a few opinions on compatability of urchins and corals.

I am 1+ year into a 125 tank. I have had relative success with most of my occupants (minus 2 tangs, in which I didn't ask for the test feed at the LFS and they wouldn't eat when home - lesson learned)

I run into hair algae outbreaks and so I purchased a pencil urchin and a colored short spined urchin (about 2 months apart). As they make their way thru the tank they have kept most of it clear with help from a handful of snails and doz+ hermits.

I recently purchased a Lunar Aqualight Power Compact and I enjoying it thoroughly. The lunar lights are great at nite and the daytime brightness is a nice upgrade from my last regular fluorescents.

Which leads to my question, I am really interested in getting some starter corals (yellow polyps and green mushrooms) but I understand now that the urchins may mess with them. I was wondering if anyone had luck in having both (urchins and corals) in the same tank or maybe another suggestion on corals.

I would rather not remove the urchins as they are both attractive subjects but I would also really like to get into some basic corals.

If anyone has some experience or suggestions that would be great.

also, this forum is an invaluable source of info - I wish I would have found it 13months ago - much thanks

I had 3 black urchins with long spines that I needed to get out once I started getting corals. They were constantly bulldozing the frags around and tearing polyps with the points of their spines. I also have a couple of pencil urchins that are still in the tank. They seem to be behaving themselves for now.

Back
Top Bottom