AAAH! What are these fish, and why are they fighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, about four months ago, the lfs sold me four lemon tetras. At least, I thought that's what they were. They were only half an inch long. Well, as I've posted before, I finally looked up the profile of lemon tetras, and they look nothing like them. They are growing rapidly and are now almost three inches long. I thought they might be buenos aires tetras, but after looking at more pictures online, I think they are not, in fact, but something else.

For months, they schooled together peacefully, like any tetra. Then, they started chasing eachother around the tank. They ignore the other fish. But I came home today and they were a ball of nipping fish, a frenzy! I haven't seen anything like it! They don't seem to be doing too much actual damage yet, but they are just going at it! What do I do? Are they spawning? Are they playing? Are they killing eachother? And how big are these guys going to get? What the heck are they? I have three tanks, an uncycled five gallon with a betta, another five gallon with a betta that attacks everything that moves, and my 29 gallon. I dont' know if they're going to settle down or not. And I don't know how to separate them.

They are almost three inches long, having grown from half an inch in four months. They are gold, with a black spot on the tail. Going down the sides are two rows of black spots, so close together it looks almost like stripe. I don't have a digital camera, so I can't post a picture. Can anyone help? I will make an effort to pick up a camera and use my dad's scanner this week. Any advice?

Does it look like this :

Gold_Barb_700.jpg

That's a golden barb. The behavior you described sounds like typical barb behavior too. With barbs you usually want at least 6 to keep them from beating each other up.

my guess is they are what codefox said.
either that or they are some sort of "Fishious swimaroundious"

That's exactly them! I can't believe the lfs told me they were lemon tetras! Can't really add more, my tank is fully stocked. They seem to have settled down for now, at least!

What else do you ahve in your tank, Sarah? And what sort of filtration are you using...these barbs get to a fair size (4") so if you have lots of other fish, a couple more of these are going to add some significant bioload...but depending on your setup it may be able to handle it. If it can it may result in less stress for fish and owner ;)

Back
Top Bottom