? about substrate..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommaof4boys

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

I'm new to planted tanks and I currently have a 55 gallon up and running that I was going to add some amazon swords and java fern to. However, the more research I do the more I realize that sand might not be such a good substrate for a planted tank. I've seen a lot about flourite substrate. SO, I was thinking about setting up the 125 to be the planted community tank. I see that a lot of people mix the flourite with aquarium gravel. Could I mix it with sand instead? I eventually want to have a very full planted aquarium. I think they are just beautiful. Could anyone give me some insight on how much flourite I would need to mix in for a 125 gallon tank?

Hey guys,

I'm new to planted tanks and I currently have a 55 gallon up and running that I was going to add some amazon swords and java fern to. However, the more research I do the more I realize that sand might not be such a good substrate for a planted tank. I've seen a lot about flourite substrate. SO, I was thinking about setting up the 125 to be the planted community tank. I see that a lot of people mix the flourite with aquarium gravel. Could I mix it with sand instead? I eventually want to have a very full planted aquarium. I think they are just beautiful. Could anyone give me some insight on how much flourite I would need to mix in for a 125 gallon tank?

Did you know that there is such a thing as flourite black sand. Also IMO sand is fine for plants. My 29 planted tank has a sand substrate.

If you want to add plants to your existing tank I think they will do just fine, however I don't think it's a good idea to mix your sand with flourite for the 125. I know I am getting Flourite Black Sand for my soon-to-be planted aquarium. It looks awesome!

substrate is not that important. They get all the nutrients from the water, and they make energy from the light. Substrate is just to anchor them down. Use anything you want.

substrate is not that important. They get all the nutrients from the water, and they make energy from the light. Substrate is just to anchor them down. Use anything you want.

This isn't entirely true as many plants do appreciate and grow better in nutrient rich substrates, plus dirt and commerical substrates have a high CEC (cation exchange capacity) which means the substrate can absorb nutrients from the detris and water and hold them for plant use. Also in particular Swords and Crypts which have large root systems draw almost all their nutrients via their roots.

Plants the world over grow fine in sand; what's in the sand is much more important. You can easily make up for not having a fancy substrate by either using root tabs or capping some soil with sand, although the latter is less user friendly.

Not totally true. At all. Plants take up nutrients through their roots, and use their leaves to generate "food." Substrate is important, as you want to have a good anchor, and yet have something with an adsorbtive property. Which is why clay based substrate additives are so popular.

Back
Top Bottom