about to give up on my 24 aquapod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bskerrichard27

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I been battling cyno for about 8 months with this thing so far I feed every other day fresh foods not frozen put new lights in it cut back lights to 8 hours increased water changes to 4 times a week 20% got plenty of flow got one clown perc one serpant star one strawberry basslet 5 hermits 5 turbos Kenya tree leather coral 8 mushrooms hammer coral candy cane green star polps and a brain coral salanity 1.025 trates 0 phosphate 0 what am I missing tank was started with well water from lfs but been using rodi since Feb

A uv sterilizer would help, kills anything that flows threw it, and make sure all the food is being ate

UV isnt going to do much against cyano unfortunately. Cyano only really grows when it can hold onto something, if it is in the water column its on its first step to death.
Q's:
Is your tank in direct sunlight in the day?
What do you mean by "fresh food"?

Race is correct in the feeding part, as that really can fuel things. Your levels probably all look completely normal because the cyano is using all of the nutrients up. It doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have an excess nutrients problem. Feed the fish slowly, and only what they can eat in 3-5 minutes. You can try target feeding smaller amounts as well. Also don't be afraid to knock back your light cycle to 4-6 hours. You don't have any really high light corals that would suffer.

I find the best way to combat cyano is a turkey baster and an old toothbrush. Go in and brush it (it should come right off) and then suck it up in the baster. If you do this once a day for a week or until most of it is dead, then reduce light and feedings, it should die right off. If all else fails, there are several "red slime removal" medications you can add to the water.

Well I got some gfo and my.cyno proublem is gone so know my corals are looking realy good and open ...tell me what u all think

ForumRunner_20121015_115911.jpg

Thanks guys its amazing what a little gfo and patience will do for a tank ....

I can not.believe how my.corals look know they have never opened and exspanded this much ..

Thanks ill post a updated pic coral is doing awesome finally getting growth

I added a bag of carbon API phosphate remover and purigen cleaned all the issues up I was having know my xenia is growing like weeds and my green star polyps have covered the intire rock they were on know there competeing for relestate

Back
Top Bottom