Accidentally killed one of my fish /tears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threnjen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I am sure it has happened to others and I am sure everyone has lost a fish, but our tank has only been up for a few days and this was my first one, and it was one of my favorites.

It wasn't from bad water parameters or any such thing, and it was my fault. Turns out we had a death trap area where one of our circulation jets blows right into this small crevice in a piece of our driftwood. It looks like after I did my water change yesterday and turned the jets back on, he was in front of a jet and was blown right into the crevice and could not back out. I didn't find him for hours until I was desperately looking for the whole group (with one missing) and finally noticed his little tail sticking out of the crevice :(

Death trap area is fixed (strategically placed rocks) but I was so sad and I feel so terrible :( I cried. He was one of my favorites (Puntatus Cory)

RIP little cory, you were the cutest of them all

I know the feeling. I got a powerhead to diffuse my co2. During a water change the tube feeding the co2 into the head popped off I didn't think much about it at that moment because it was turned off do to the water change. I refilled the tank and started everything back up. But I forgot about the hose. When I went to go hook it back up after while, I realized something was stuck in hole. I thought it was a rock or little piece of wood or something until I went to get it out and realized it was one of my otos! He lived through it but I lost him the next day. I got a smaller powerhead.

A long time ago, while I was away at school, I had a demasoni in a tank by himself and I had an old school heater with the dial on top. My GF at the time came into town to visit, I was excited to see her and was quickly doing my tank maintenance. As soon as she got to my apartment we left when I returned that evening I saw my fish floating I accidentally turned the heater all the way up and cooked the little guy.

Oh man :( Thanks for sharing your stories. You guys must have felt awful :(

I still feel awful that my cory died, although husband keeps reassuring me there is no way I could know about the perfect storm of his position+jets+crack in wood right when I turned on the power.

I accidentally siphoned a danio through a pipe. I felt it go in at the tank end and quickly gave the middle section a squeeze in my other hand. A rather squashed fish came out into the bucket. I always think it would have survived if I didn't panic and just let the fish pass through. That was 8 years ago.

The fish was alive but it was necessary for me to "finish the job" so to speak.

:nono: gutted!

Oh man :( Thanks for sharing your stories. You guys must have felt awful :(

I still feel awful that my cory died, although husband keeps reassuring me there is no way I could know about the perfect storm of his position+jets+crack in wood right when I turned on the power.

Yes felt horrible but these things happen. The longer you are in the hobby these accidents happen less but unfortunately we lose fish from time to time.

Well I siphoned a baby molly out the window a few hours ago and a ghost shrimp a few days ago. The shrimp died. The molly is still alive and doesn't appear to be hurt. He went out the window onto a metal roof. We have snow right now and the temps are in the 30's. Poor thing was on the metal roof for about 30 seconds while I climbed out my window onto the roof to retrieve him. Then I had a time picking him up. He was out of the water around a minute before I could get him to a tank. He is in my 5 gallon tank by himself right now. He seemed to be in shock at first but is swimming and eating now. I was putting a knee high over the end of the suction tube but got lazy. I will for now on though.

Back
Top Bottom