Accidently used harmful sponge in aquarium PLEASE HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph101

Aquarium Advice Activist
PLEASE NOTE- I do not have any fish in my tank as I just purchased it a few days ago (thank god)

I read on the net that its good to wipe down your tank before setting it up as it removes any dust/dirt, so i did just that but i didnt know that household sponges from Coles said on the back of the packet "do not use in aquariums" I thought a sponge with no chemicals on it would be fine but it turns out this has been the cause of all my problems (high ph reading of 8.4)

I just want to know how i can fix this before i start cycling my tank. Should i do 100% water change and clean the glass? If so, how do i do this safely? Im freaking out and i dont know what to do! Im just so thankful that i dont have any fish in there yet. I have turned my aquarium off. Please help

PLEASE NOTE- I do not have any fish in my tank as I just purchased it a few days ago (thank god)

I read on the net that its good to wipe down your tank before setting it up as it removes any dust/dirt, so i did just that but i didnt know that household sponges from Coles said on the back of the packet "do not use in aquariums" I thought a sponge with no chemicals on it would be fine but it turns out this has been the cause of all my problems (high ph reading of 8.4)

I just want to know how i can fix this before i start cycling my tank. Should i do 100% water change and clean the glass? If so, how do i do this safely? Im freaking out and i dont know what to do! Im just so thankful that i dont have any fish in there yet. I have turned my aquarium off. Please help

i would just rinse it out with hot water and unscented bleach then run some extra carbon in the filter to be safe.
its not the sponge that is causing a high ph, IMO, what is the ph of your tap water? run an airstone in a bucket of tap water for 24 hours and then test it, that will be your true ph. what substrate did you use?

i would just rinse it out with hot water and unscented bleach then run some extra carbon in the filter to be safe.
its not the sponge that is causing a high ph, IMO, what is the ph of your tap water? run an airstone in a bucket of tap water for 24 hours and then test it, that will be your true ph. what substrate did you use?

I did the 24 hour test and tap ph is 7.4
Ive tested all gravel, decor in water for 24 hours still reads 7.4
So theres nothing left to cause me a high ph but the sponge I used. It must be made out of something im unaware of as it does say on the packet 'do not use in aquariums'

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree. I doubt the sponge would cause high ph. What type of gravel do you have? Can you post a pic?

Its from pieces natural shop. It says on the packet ph natural 7.0.

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would just do 3 80% water change 3 days in a row and it should be fine. It would be so diluted I don't think it would make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom