acidic water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iowaguy27

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have very acidic water. I have done water changes and used start right for my tanks and still is very high. Is there any additive I can get to help or tricks to brink it down?

<7 is acidic 7> is basic I'm just making sure you know that because you said its acidic and then said bring it down

She is saying that pH 7 is neutral. Acidic will be lower than 7, basic would be higher.

You said you want to bring the pH lower, which in turn make your water than much more acidic.

What is your pH reading?

I am not sure I will have to test it again. I took it to my local fish store because I had a couple fish die on me. They just said my water was acidic and getting into the dangerous rang. I have four angels that are doing just fine. But I had gotten a couple swordtails and they both died.

Ok, so if it is acidic that means it is lower than 7. You need to bring it UP then.
Def get a liquid test kit and test the water yourself. Do research on your fish. LFS sell stuff that adjusts pH levels. Please, also remember that significant and sudden fluctuations in water parameters may harm your fish..!

Crushed coral will naturally raise pH I believe. Driftwood and peat will lower it. Just make sure this is the source of your problem. Many fish species prefer slightly acidic water.

Hello IA...

The majority of aquarium fish will tolerate a pH between 6.5 and 8. If your tap water tests out somewhere in this area, then your water should be fine. The majority of aquarium fish will adapt to the majority of public water supplies.

You can get some some floating plants like Anacharis and Pennywort. These two love acidic water and may help raise the pH a little. Some other good plants are Anubias, Java fern, any of the mosses and Cryptocoryne.

If the water stays acidic, then large weekly water changes will maintain stable water properties and at least the fish and plants won't be subjected to changes in the water chemistry.

B

Back
Top Bottom