Actinic Lighting in basic canopy ballast, for a 10g fowlr questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phlex

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is this light sufficient enough for my FOWLR 10g? And if i chose to add an LPS, or anemone, which if any could survive on that lighting?

Im still learning, so any info on the reasons for the different types of lighting vs. another would also be useful!

edit: Just learned a ton from http://www.aquarium-lighting-guide.com/reef-aquarium-lighting. If anyone knows of any bad info from that, let me know..

well the three basics are Metal Halide, T5s, and LEDs

MH: very strong and penetrate well (not really needed for such a small tank) somewhat expensive and generate quite a bit of heat. Also use up a good bit of electricity

T5: Much more energy efficient and generate much less heat, though they don't penetrate as well i'd look into finding a fixture like this for a 10G. Possibly 4-bulb

LEDs: expensive, but if done right can be limitlessly customizable, and penetrate pretty well, and they really have some great colors

so for me if i could afford it i would go with LEDs, but for most its not within budget. a nice 4-bulb T5 fixture would support what you're looking to keep, though i advise against the anemone

the only thing i don't agree with is that halides penetrate the water better than T5 HO's. it's been my experience that this is incorrect. a good quality T5 fixture can light the same depth tank as a similar wattage (in some cases a higher wattage) metal halide fixture.

LPS require a lot less light than some anemones. IME for most LPS, moderate lighting is all that is needed. an individually reflected 2 lamp t5 fixture should be plenty for LPS in a 12" deep tank.
i also agree that you should skip the anemone.

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies.. Just a follow up question however. The light fixture that I have now, Normal Output ballast with 18" Actinic 10K bulb. Will that be sufficient enough to continue the colonization of macro algea from the live rock. Or do I need to rush out and pickup a T5 ballast as suggested?

Mr_x I disagree with you on the T5 penetration. They might visibly appear to be as bright, but all the research proves MH PAR is much better at deeper debris in the water.

As far as LPS goes T5 lighting is sufficient

As far as heat goes it is a myth That T5 are not as hot as MH but in fact they produce the same amount of heat. The difference is Florescent lighting has larger glass service area to disperse the heat over vs a MH which has a very small glass surface area. 250w is 250w no matter the mode of delivery.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

not all research. i've done my own, with my own apogee PAR meter. i have found an 8 lamp t-5 fixture to put out more lumens, and PAR than a pair of 250 watt halides, with various bulbs.
i believe "all the research" to be from a few years ago when t-5s weren't individually reflected and the bulbs were standard.

Last edited:
The ballast is extremely important I have run the same MH lamps on 4 or 5 different ballast one being magnetic and the others electronic and the PAR levels were extremely different. To give good accurate results you have to match proper ballast against each other. That is the advantage or relying on published data vs. Individual hobbits tests. I am not saying your data is invalid but you can not say in general T5 vs MH Is better or the same. You could have had a MH ballast that does not drive the bulb to full capacity and a great t5 ballast that drive the T5 at highest capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

i used both sunlight supply galaxy electronic ballasts and also sunlight supply magnetic ballasts and got slightly different results. neither beat the 8 lamp hydroponics fixture (all ATI lamps) i used on my tank at the time.

Well I just picked up a Nova Extreme 18" T5 from a 'not so local' fish store..
Price was normal markup, however It does Not fit my 10g tank. I assume I must have an oddball 10g, even though its the basic rectangle shape. We managed to rig it to fit, however I think I need a 20" Its only short by about 2ish inches.

The Nova Extreme is supposed to be adjustable. Did it not come with adjustable legs?

Well I just picked up a Nova Extreme 18" T5 from a 'not so local' fish store..
Price was normal markup, however It does Not fit my 10g tank. I assume I must have an oddball 10g, even though its the basic rectangle shape. We managed to rig it to fit, however I think I need a 20" Its only short by about 2ish inches.

Nope, it doesn't fit any standard 10g.

the ones i had you could unscrew the set screw in the leg and slide them in and out until it fit whatever you wanted. i had the 48" models though.

Thats exactly how this one works, however its designed to fit nothing larger then 18".. The legs are adjustable inward, but not outward. Was slightly disapointed however the (not so local fish store) did offer to trade it out for the 24" just need to pay the difference. So that was nice of them.

The 24" will definately fit the 10g tank, and also a 20g standard. I did some extra research on it last night.

No doubt, picking up Monday or Tuesday. I wish I had started a build thread with pictures. Even though the 18" doesn't fit we did manage to get it on there with a little rigging. The light it puts out is amazing. We are also finding all sorts of 'newly noticed' creatures on the live rock.

Back
Top Bottom