Add color to tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pickles12807

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm really wanting to add some color to my planted tank, but I'm not sure of any reddish plants that would work well for my setup. I have a 20 long with a 30" Finnex FugeRay. I have sand substrate and use Flourish root tabs, along with just starting to use Flourish once a week. I do not have any co2 system.

Can anybody recommend any easier/beginner plants that would add some color to my tank? I haven't seen any in my LFS, so I may be interested in buying some off members here if anybody has extras.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I found some Scarlet Temple (Alternanthera reineckii) at PetCo, sold as a midground plant. They take medium-high light. I separated the package into 4 clumps and the one with the best light has already doubled in size, so I will probably make some changes with the other 3 portions.

Should mention that my substrate is CarribSea's Flora Max with a little Fluval and some uncoated small gravel/coarse sand mix, so can't say how this plant will do in sand. :)

Have fun!

I currently have anacharis, banana plants, jungle val, anubias, java fern, water wisteria, hornwort, and some type of crypt.

Here is what it currently looks like. I added the lava rock for some color, but I'd still like to add some more colorful plants.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424641457.073328.jpg

I think lugwigia repens is an easier redish plant maybe red tiger lotus, or crypt wendtti

I think lugwigia repens is an easier redish plant maybe red tiger lotus, or crypt wendtti

My red crypt w. completed melted in about a week after getting it. I had it as a floating plant because it was too tall for my 5g. I still have the stem and roots floating, so hope it will regenerate one of these days. Maybe I should try dry starting it, IDK. I'll try some of the other ones you mentioned, though. Kind of a plant-a-holic. :whistle:

I'm actually pretty new to plants also. I have the same problem because I want some more colorful plants but don't have a real high tech set up that red plants need. All green plants doesn't look as good to me in my opinion. I think some iron also helps bring out the color a little, but I'm no expert.

Back
Top Bottom