Adding additional filter question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if it's in addition to the existing filter there should be no issues, just may take a while to get seeded with BB

If the filter is only a small percentage of your overall volume (ie 5%) I'd imagine it would be like completing a (5%) water change and shouldn't cause a mini cycle.

Yep, as above adding an additional filter will not cause a mini-cycle

New question about the filters lol...

The original filter has the extensions added so it reaches almost the bottom of the tank, should I setup the additional filter the same way so they're both pulling from the bottom or should I make one pull mid level?

HopefulHobbiest said:
New question about the filters lol...

The original filter has the extensions added so it reaches almost the bottom of the tank, should I setup the additional filter the same way so they're both pulling from the bottom or should I make one pull mid level?

If your filter has a skimmer attachment then it would be good to have a filter at that level near the top! It won't harm to have the filter at the same levels as you will still be moving double the amount that you would be with 1 filter! I hope this helps but it is a personal thing, the filter is meant to clean a whole tank and turn the whole tanks volume over at least 5 times an hour. This means with 2 filters you are going to have massive turn over as well as great water movement that will be chaotic and different over the whole tank. Remember they can always be changed if you don't see the results you want! Good luck

Thank you for the info, I'm just glad I have the extra filter to help clean and move water... Though it'll take some time to grow BB seeing as how I just set it up last night :)

HopefulHobbiest said:
Thank you for the info, I'm just glad I have the extra filter to help clean and move water... Though it'll take some time to grow BB seeing as how I just set it up last night :)

What type of filter do you have?

HopefulHobbiest said:
I have a topfin 60 that's already running, added an aquaclear 70 last night

Ok :) the bb will build up quickly and the outputs should give nice movement.

How big is the tank?

Back
Top Bottom