Adding base rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryB

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greetings all.

My tank has been cycled for a little over a month and now that I look at it I really want to add some more rock.

My question is I don't want to go down the path of curing LR in a bucket, so can I add base rock with no issues? Obviously I would soak it in some rodi water first to get rid of dust and such.

Also any options on a good epoxy that I can apply underwater. I would like to make some caves.

Depends on where you get the base rock from. Places like Marco Rocks goes thru a 3 stage cleaning process and is safe to go right in the tank after a good rinse. BRS dry reef rock is ok but might leech Phophate. Nothing too major. BRS Pukani rock CAN NOT go right into a established tank. It must be cured and cleaned. The BEST Epoxy to use is Epo Putty. Strong and cures fast and won't make the skimmer go crazy!

EPO Putty Two Part Reef Safe Epoxy Putty 100 Gram Kit | eBay

Example of a Aquascape I made using marco rocks and epo putty but tore down for another. Also for some reason Marco rocks will turn white to green and then purple. For some reason I can't grow Coraline on them until it goes thru the green phase.

The New Tank Build - YouTube

I was thinking about picking up some from a lfs so I can actually see the piece and make sure it matches what I need. Don't know how that rock would be cleaned before me getting it tho.

Ask where the rock came from. Such as Vendor, was it mined or taken out the ocean. Call and ask then respond here and I'll let you know which way to go.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom