Adding betta to 10g community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariella

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys I’m new to the forum and have a stocking question for my 10g planted freshwater tank. It currently has 5 neon tetras, 1 nerite snail, and 1 ADF. I was wondering if I would be able to add a betta in there for like a centerpiece fish? I don’t think it would be overstocking but i’ve heard bettas can be aggressive, especially the males but have also seen people successfully add them to 10g community tanks. If I could I would want to add a male betta because they are more eye catching but know females are not as territorial. Do you think adding a betta (either gender) would be ok? And if so would I need to do anything specific for it to work? Thanks!

Adding a betta can be risky, it will depend on the temperament of the individual fish, and the only way to find out is to try it.

But, the fish, frog and snail you have are generally considered good tank mates for bettas. And adding the betta last is the right way to do it, rather than adding other fish in with the betta when the betta will have already established territory and see the whole tank as his. So, you have given yourself as good a chance as you can of it being succesful.

If you go ahead, let us know how things go.

Back
Top Bottom