Adding Eco-Complete To Established Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianeberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 36 gallon tank with regular gravel substrate that I bought from Petco about 7 months ago when I set the tank up.

In October (two months ago), I set up a 10 gallon tank for my shrimp and I used Eco-Complete gravel. I noticed that my pants were so much easier to plant in the Eco-Complete and they grow a bit nicer as well.

The problem is that I want to add Eco-Complete to my 36 gallon (measuring 36 x 12 inches) now. When I got the standard gravel from Petco, I was just wanting the cheapest thing I could find.

I don't know how to add new substrate to an already-established tank. I would have to take all the fish out and everything, but when I put Eco-Complete in my 10 gallon setting it up, the water was super foggy for about 24 hours. I don't want my fish living in buckets for 24 hours, but is it safe to put them in when the water is foggy?

Edit: Forgot to mention that substrate holds a lot of the beneficial bacteria, so that's another thing I'm worried about.

Any feedback is helpful!

Last edited:
The cloudiness is not of particular concern to fish. In nature, many fish live in silty water without problem. There's really nothing preventing you from netting out your fish and manually replacing the substrate scoop by scoop. You may experience an ammonia spike in the first 24h or so, but as the lion's share of your beneficial bacteria live in your filter, they can rapidly compensate for the loss of substrate bacteria and the tank should quickly balance itself, assuming a UGF isn't your primary filter source.

I have a canister filter, so that should be okay. Would I put the fish back into the tank as soon as I get all the gravel in?

Would 40 pounds (two bags) of Eco Complete be good for a 36 x 12 tank? I used one bag (20 pounds) on my 10 gallon and it's about 1.5 inches on the bottom.

I would probably try to let the fish spend as little time in a bucket as possible.

If 10g are 20x10 and your tank is 36x12, (36*12)/(20*10)=2.16, so the thickness of your new substrate will be about 8% more than the 10g, so basically the same depth. If you think that what you have in the 10g will look fine in the new tank, than go for it.

Okay! I'm going to do it :)

It sucks that Eco-Complete is $40 for what I need, but it's SO much easier with plants. My gravel I have now is large stones, so planting is a pain. Plus, it's getting kinda yellow colored and looks nasty.

I hope my angelfish fits in the net... He's like baseball sized. I haven't netted him since he was quarter sized, so it'll be interesting.

I found Eco-Complete for $18.99 in store and $17.99 online from PetCo. Not sure what the shipping cost is.

I changed out my gravel in the only tank that didn't have Eco and it was no big deal. We put the goldies in a large bucket with and aerator, quickly removed the few plants, DW, and gravel, put the Eco in, planted, and the fish went right back in. It went as smooth as could be with no problems for the fish. Didn't even get cloudy water.

My 10 gallon got super cloudy when I put it in... I'm getting a T5HO light for my 36 gallon for Christmas, so I thought Eco-Complete was only the next logical step.

You might find floramax for cheaper. I'm going to do a black lava rock tank soon.

It may be cheaper, but I know and like Eco-Complete, so I don't want to risk buying something new. I already spent $40 on plain gravel back when I was first starting my tank and just want to do it right this time.

It seems a shame to like throw my old gravel away, but I'm never going to do anything with it... What do I do with it?

Back
Top Bottom