Adding fish from different aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My BF has decided to join me in the great hobby of having an aquarium. After seeing how beautiful my 36 gal planted bow front has turned out, he is buying a 50 gal aquarium with a stand from Craigslist. It is fully set up and has been running for 2 years. It is about an hour away and I don't know how the fish (about 6?) will make the trip home in a 5 gal bucket, but my question: is it a good idea to add them to my aquarium after a reasonable amount of time? What is a reasonable amount of time? BF would like several large fish only in his tank. I would prefer to pick out my own fish to add to my aquarium when the time is right, but can't just throw these little guys (whatever they are) out! All I know is that one is a large Pleco. Any suggestions on this acquisition and transition for these new fish?
Thanks......

Let me see if i got this right

Your moving fish from your bf tank to yours? So he can get new fish? If your tank isnt big enough to handle some of the fish your best ootion is to try and sell them on like craigslist. If worst comes to worst you take them to a lfs.

Now two different houses youll need to make sure they get use to your water quality.before adding them. Also they shoukd be fine in a bucket for a few hours

Let me see if i got this right

Your moving fish from your bf tank to yours? So he can get new fish? If your tank isnt big enough to handle some of the fish your best ootion is to try and sell them on like craigslist. If worst comes to worst you take them to a lfs.

Now two different houses youll need to make sure they get use to your water quality.before adding them. Also they shoukd be fine in a bucket for a few hours

Yes, his tank is going to be an African cichlid tank, and mine is a community tank. I have a 36 gal with small fish like tetras and rasboras, so I have room for his small fish as well. I am careful about adding water from my tank in with the new fish , waiting and doing it again, then slowly adding them to my tank. Thanks for your response. D

Yes, his tank is going to be an African cichlid tank, and mine is a community tank. I have a 36 gal with small fish like tetras and rasboras, so I have room for his small fish as well. I am careful about adding water from my tank in with the new fish , waiting and doing it again, then slowly adding them to my tank. Thanks for your response. D

No problem hope all goes well

Back
Top Bottom