Adding Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rtoycrow

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am about to add some live rock to my 125 gallon. At the moment I have 100 lbs of base rock in my tank. I plan on buying 45 lbs of fiji live rock to seed the base rock. I am in no hurry for live stock but I was wondering about how long it would take for the live rock to grow to the base rock and are there any precautions when I add the live rock such as handling it when I put it in the tank or dye off. I will cycle with cocktail shrimp. Any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate. Thanks

Ziggy953 said:
I agree with Mike....the die-off of the LR will get your cycle going.

So, if I understand correctly, you are saying that using a shrimp to produce the ammonia necessary to begin the cycle is not necessary when you are curing Live Rock? And that is because the critters/etc on the LR will die off and produce the ammonia themselves?

Wouldn't adding the shrimp begin the process faster than waiting for the die off (maybe only a couple of days though)? It would seem to me that an additional source of ammonia would assist the cycle better. Maybe I'm offbase, and I appreciate any corrections (as I will be doing this very, very soon! :D ).

It really depends how much die off is on the LR. Either way it is an ammonia source and will work. I believe they would work about the same amount of time.

Back
Top Bottom