Adding more live rock to running tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madstyle1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just curious if I can add more live rock to my current tank now? Would it be safe?60 gallon tank1 yellow tang1 saddleback clown1 firefish1 cleaner shrimp2 turbo snails2 nassiarius snails2 sea slugs65lbs of live rockSalinity 1.025

Right now I'm at my local fish store, and they told me the rocks they have are cured, and I'm only trying to put 1 pound or 2.. Its more of aquascaping it instead for bio load

You should be alright to add them. Just watch the ammonia anyway to make sure. Also have some mixed SW on hand just in case.

Smell the rock too. Foul smell means it ain't cured.

A pound or two shouldn't hurt anything.

so I added for small pieces of rock last week and i think it recycled my tank. killed most of my fish except yellow tang, cleaner shrimp, and 2 turbo snails.

was this possible? the rocks didnt smell foul when i picked up the rocks.

2 yellow tail damsels - 1 dead
1 long nose butterfly - dead
(2) 3 spotted damels - 2 dead
saddleback clown - dead
yellow tang - alive
cleaner shrimp - alive
turbo snails - alive
70 pounds of live rock
PH 7.8
AM - 0
NI -0
Nitrate - 0
phos - 0
temp 76

Looking at your parameters (I would get your LFS to double check them) I don't know what would killed all the fish.
Were the rocks in bins?
When did you test your water parameters?
I'm wondering if it was something in the rock, but the inverts are usually the ones to go first....something is amiss....
Ok, reading your first post and then the last one, what fish did you have in there, unless I am crazy the two posts don't match...?

last post is the most current livestock.

the sea slugs and fire fish i traded in.

Hmmm, I am at a loss unless there is something I am missing.
Ok, when did you add the other fish and what was the time frame?

how old is your tank.. i saw a post of it on 10/08 and there were still diatoms in the tank.

-Brad

Diatoms can come and go depending on what's in your tank. If you have silicate sand and stir it up, diatoms can pop back up, new lighting/bulbs can also kick them back in.

i wasent accusing just asking as from what ive read an improper cycle can lead to trouble down the road.

-Brad

Please don't take offense B, you asked a great question, I was just stating what I have seen happen before.

added a 1 damsel (yellowtail) and longnose 2 and a half weeks ago
added a 1 damsel (yellow tail) and 2 3 spot damsel a week after that.

Ive had the yellow tang since Aug 08
Ive had cleander shrimp since Nov 08

when did you add the clown?

the only thing i notice is that there was 5 fish added within 2 weeks of each other. and all 5 ended up dead...

is the addition of 5 fish enough to shock the system?

if not could it have been your supplier?

-Brad

thats what im figuring too. i really dropped the ball on that one. i should have known better

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom