Adding more sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone, jus a quick question, I have sand in my tank which is about an inch deep, problem is my plants keep coming out so was thinking about adding another inch of sand, will doing this effect my tank, like having a mini cycle or something like that?? If not does anyone have any ideas on how to go about adding more sand?

adding more sand won't cause a mini-cycle.
Your tank however, will hold a little less water (an extra inch is no big deal...but sand beds deeper than 3 inches may lead to a build up of hydrogen sulfide)

If you don't want to disturb anything or sand to get sucked up by the filter, you can just use a bowl/cup and add the sand slowly.

Bubble_B0y said:
adding more sand won't cause a mini-cycle.
Your tank however, will hold a little less water (an extra inch is no big deal...but sand beds deeper than 3 inches may lead to a build up of hydrogen sulfide)

If you don't want to disturb anything or sand to get sucked up by the filter, you can just use a bowl/cup and add the sand slowly.

Cool, that was my main worry, the mini cycle. I won't be goin over 3inches so I should be ok with the hydrogen sulphide build up.

I'll turn my filter off when I get round to adding more sand don't wanna take the chance of my filter packing up on me, the bowl idea sounds good tho, gonna try that. Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom