Adding Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am sick of my bare bottom tank i want to add sand into it what should i do to get it in there i dont wanna empty the tank and take the fish out.

Should i wash it in fresh water then put it in a cup and slowly add it? My stock is 4 chromis one occ clown and one damsel

I am sick of my bare bottom tank i want to add sand into it what should i do to get it in there i dont wanna empty the tank and take the fish out.

Should i wash it in fresh water then put it in a cup and slowly add it? My stock is 4 chromis one occ clown and one damsel

Washing and adding it with a cup should work. Make sure to unplug your filter during this process so the sand won't damage the impeller. If the water gets really cloudy just wait until it settles and slowly keep adding. I'm not sure if all the floating sand stuff would harm the fish, I highly doubt it though. If your fish seem stressed during the process try turning off the light.

Another option is to get a few 5 gallon buckets and fill them with water from the tank and put the fish in there while you add the sand.

If you didn't already know you can get pool filter sand at about $5-$10 for 50 lbs I think.

Hope this helped!

You also try feeding the sand through a pvc pipe straight to the bottom. That might minimize the cloud effect.

i just did it last week in one of my freshwater tanks with extra fine carribesea super natural sand and it worked out great. as long as you rinse it good enough and it is quality sand, it shouldn't cloud your tank imo. i also agree with turning everything off. also make sure you don't bury anything ;) I've had it happen.....

Thanks guys i was thinking of ways to get it in there with a siphon some how but the pvc will work

Thanks guys i was thinking of ways to get it in there with a siphon some how but the pvc will work
The PVC pipe will work. I put it in a 1 litre plastic juice bottle, then fill it with water as you put the bottle in the tank, then turn it over and the sand comes out without flying all over the place. This also keeps the fine particles in the bottle.

You also try feeding the sand through a pvc pipe straight to the bottom. That might minimize the cloud effect.
i was going to suggest this too.You just may need to smooth it out as you add the sand.

Back
Top Bottom