Additives. So many to chose from! Safest choice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Before i purchase any anemone or coral i want to know what would be the best additive to use.
Kent, Seachem, Red Sea.... the list goes on......
So many brands what would be the best choice?

Don't get caught up in the "you need to add this and you need to add that" thinking. Honesty, most "reef additives" are a waste of money. Regular water changes are the best way to replensh any depleted trace elements, maintain Ph, and the correct CA/ALK balance. Depending on the corals you would like to keep you may need to look at a ALK/CA buffer down the road, depending on what your levels are.

the natural reefs dont use additives..and we are trying to replicate that in our own systems.. agreed with lando.. water changes are the ideal way of keeping up those trace elements..!

I'm gonna have to agree as well. Water changes are normally all you need. Don't get drawn into the additives game.

Agree with above... Test kits are a must have before using any additives, NEVER add anything unless you test for it first.
I only use bionic 2 part alk and cal additive, thats it... Tanks been running great for over 3 years, check out my pics and you will see that my coral and colaline algae growth is good.
Also it depends on what type of tank your going to have... Reef, fowlr, soft or hard corals??
So if the LFS is telling you you need this or that without asking you any questions, don't buy it.
Can't say enough that regular water changes are a must.

ok great. you know, i had a fealing it was not worth it. the only thing i every bought was some calcium.
I want to keep sabae anemone. and some mushrooms.

Back
Top Bottom